Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I might get laughed at but, here it goes! I found a rust free complete 1972 Dodge B300 van. It is the shorter version, which is slightly longer and wider than an Astro van. Anyway, I want to bag this thing, dump it on some 20 inch wheels, and shake the windows outta the house when it fires. I'm going for the retro '70's look with modern engineering and styling. I want to spend the bulk of my budget on the body and paint. I'm thinking jet black with some ghost flames or somethin.

Anyway, which motor combo is the most desireable? It sounds like the 440 is the motor I want from doing a search, but I'm not real clear on which tranny to put behind it. I have a Gear Vendors over/under drive in my dually, and I was thinking of using one in this build up as well. That way I can gear it down for that "arm streching" feel! Is there an overdrive auto that will stand up to the 440?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
i pitty da foo who dont drive a black van! i think you've seen one to many 1-800-collect commercials w/ MR. T. :flipoff2:

no overdrive tranny came stock behind a big block since they stopped making the B and RB motor before the overdrives came around. i would run a 360 with a A518 auto. find one out of a later model magnum powered truck or van and you'll get multi port injection along with it.:D

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. Would'nt it take quite a bit of money to make the 360 as powerfull as a 440? Or would it take more money to mate an overdrive tranny behind a 440? If I run that Gear Vendors unit, I could use a three speed, but the overdrive would be ideal. Does anyone (like Advanced Adapters) make something for the 440 and an O/D trans of any make?
Thanks for the info. I have read some of your other posts and will take whatever advice you give, as it seems you know a thing or two about Dodges.
By the way, the A-Team van was a Chevy! My plans are to build a Dodge van because that's what my dad had when I was two, and it was still running good when I sold it at twenty-one. Kind of sentimental but I gotta start somewhere. I guess I could be more original and build a late 80's Chevy pick up. Hell, that would probably be in the magazines! (like we haven't seen every variation of that truck)
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
All depends on what you want to do with it. You can easily build a 360 into a 408 and be pumping well over 400 hp, more than even a mild big block. But yes there are adapter plates to mate an RB engine to an LA tranny, but they are about $400 i believe, if not more. All up to you. In my opinion, i woudl rather have a 727 with a gear vendors than a 518, they are a much stronger tranny, even though they are both built on the 727. From my experience having a 518 (well, a 46re, but very similar) and a 727, i woudl take a 727 any day, plus, i dont use my overdrive on the highway with 33" and 3.55 gears.

Garrett

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
if you want power that takes cubes, but from what it sounds like, you want a cruiser van which the fuel injected motor and injection would be perfect for.
fast 1/4 mile times = 440
better mileage, handling, cold starting, throttle response = 5.9 magnum

just my .02:beer:

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks guys. I found a 2001 B3500 that was rolled with only 7000 miles on it, but I was out bid. It went for only $1900! That would be perfect for me. I could use the suspension components, and disc brakes, as well as the drivetrain. I'll keep you posted on the build up, but it'll be a while before I start. When I get my computer fixed, I'll download the pictures I took of the '72 in the field.
See ya!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently spotted a factory mid seventies 440 van at a local secret salvage yard out in the sticks. I'd never seen one, only heard that they were made. Now I'm not a van person, but I have to admit that it looked like a really cool package! A lakewood bellhousing will mate a NV4500 five speed to a big block. You may have to convert to hydraulic clutch, but perhaps not. The NV 4500 is actually a pretty slick shifting unit, and would give you a good overdrive gear. Don't know what you'd do about shift linkage though! Perhaps a manual column shifter could be adapted. Five on the tree!

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could probably just come up through the floor with the linkage, and use the clutch pedal assembly from a column shift model. A hydraulic clutch would be smooth. So, tell me more about this secret yard! Maybe you could take pics of the van and sell it to me, if it's straight. If you get a chance, look inside at the engine cover, I heard they have an extra buldge on the sides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts