Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I am going to be traveling this April to shoot tree rats with Scout Dude and a few other characters from the PBB. I need to get some decent, cheap glass for my varmint AR-15. Who you like and who have you used? Would like to stay under $250

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I just bought a Nikon "Coyote" for $300 then they had a $50 mail in rebate.

I haven't shot with it yet but I have another BDC Nikon on my 77/44 and I like it alright.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
That Nikon is a good one. Other idea would be the Mueller APT 4.5-15

I have only been running this on my .22 Savage MkII, but I am shooting 4" at 100yrds. Clear and bright, and they run around 175.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I meant to add the BDC is nice on the Nikon. I was very impressed with the http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/ website. I used a Omega muzzleloading scope on my Ruger 77/44 for deer season this year because I felt like the ballistics were pretty close to the same.

I took my buck at 178 yards with a .44 mag. I might have passed on the shot if I hadnt put acouple of hundred rounds downrange from 100 yards to 250 yards using the BDC.

I plan to use the Coyote for all its worth and I will post back and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
How do you like the reticle on the coyote? My brother is looking to throw one on his .243 and doesn't know how he will like the open circle instead of cross hairs.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
How do you like the reticle on the coyote? My brother is looking to throw one on his .243 and doesn't know how he will like the open circle instead of cross hairs.
I really cant say yet. I havent even mounted it yet. I plan to sight it in and shoot it as much this week as I can so I can kill some song dogs this weekend.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Ive had the nikon coyote on my ar for almost a year now and i like the circles except when im trying to shoot small groups on paper.For everything else they work great.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a 8x32 bushnell elite and its geat under 1000 yrds. If you can find one for 250$ let me know. stay away from Nekstar. If you can find a tasco world class plus there good for the money. And made in Japan not China. How far you shooting?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I don't have any of the Tr1 scopes, but I do have a couple Tr2s, and a pair of Tr1 binos. Very good optics for the money. They're just Weavers with a different name. I do have a Weaver V16 which is in theory the direct equivalent of of that scope in terms of product lines.

I'll take a Light Optic Works scope over the current Phillipino stuff.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
What about the Nikon M223? Pretty close to your price range.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
We typically shoot between 100 and 300 yds. I told Rustyrig to go a min of 16x. My 22-250 has a 18x and it seems to be fine. I have a 12x for my AR that I used this past year. I vaguely remember needing more to see out to 300+ yds. Maybe I should look into another scope too.
Are you talking maximum magnification, or minimum?

I wouldn't want a minimum of 16x. I would think 10x would be as high as I would go.

I've got a variable 4x16 on my 308 right now. It stays at 10x most the time, but sometimes that 4x is really nice to have.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Are you talking maximum magnification, or minimum?

I wouldn't want a minimum of 16x. I would think 10x would be as high as I would go.

I've got a variable 4x16 on my 308 right now. It stays at 10x most the time, but sometimes that 4x is really nice to have.
minimum maximum:flipoff2:
So, 4x - 16x, etc.

imagine hitting moving redbull cans at 300 yds...

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Tree rats? as in squirrels?

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts