Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here done/thought about a conversion of a Harley Davidson type Vee Twin engine into a Zuke? Some of those engines have more than double the HP of the 1.3 Sammie engine.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I haven't, but I am toying with an idea of a light, bottom heavy, full width, low CG trail rig with mad flex based on zuk frame. A motorcycle motor is an option...
I'd be interrested in hearing ideas for the tranny set up for it myself...

·
Registered
218 Posts
RngrDv said:
Has anyone here done/thought about a conversion of a Harley Davidson type Vee Twin engine into a Zuke? Some of those engines have more than double the HP of the 1.3 Sammie engine.

Iv always wondered about that. But I'd have to find out where to buy an inspection sticker. I'd never pass emissions even with a cat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have,
but I just couldn't do that to my Electra-glide! But I could to a V-rod!
115 hp in a nice sweet, light weight, water cooled, fuel injected package. Hmmm, I wonder what my riding buddies would think of V-rod badges on my zuke.

D

·
Registered
356 Posts
A really weird ideas I've had would be a 50hp electric... unlimited torque (IF it dosen't melt), won't stall no matter how low the rpm's..... I guess my years driving forktrucks have me thinking about this one... I can literally push TONS of dead weight and the motor isn't much larger than a 5 gallon bucket.
If there was a good way to supply enough current from a generator, batteries weigh too darn much...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mathmatically speaking, electric engines are perfect for off-road. Peak torque at low RPM...perfect throttle resonse...low weight...all the nice things in life. Definetly a buggy thing though...not a street rig.

V-Twin would be interesting. What would you do for a tranny? Never worked on a bike so I have no idea how their trannies work. Could you just mount a driveshaft flange to the output of the motorcycle tranny (where the belt drive usually is)?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you were to do a standard transmission from a bike I guess you could go straight from the bikes tranny through a shaft drive to the transfer case.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
rezuked said:
A really weird ideas I've had would be a 50hp electric... unlimited torque (IF it dosen't melt), won't stall no matter how low the rpm's..... I guess my years driving forktrucks have me thinking about this one... I can literally push TONS of dead weight and the motor isn't much larger than a 5 gallon bucket.
If there was a good way to supply enough current from a generator, batteries weigh too darn much...
FYI, electric buggy has already been done and should be in competition next year. do a search in the competition forum, I believe TONY K is building it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It has occurred to me that a large displacement (say 1100 to 1400cc) multi cylinder water cooled Motor cycle engine could be placed into the engine bay. With the cylinders inline as with the stock zooki motor. a shaft could be made and attached from the output shaft of the bike motor straight to either the transfer case, or to the zooki transmission.
Or, a short chain drive to a lay shaft which goes to the transfer or transmission.

This would give plenty of horsepower (at revs anyway) lightweight, and a useable spread of up to 13,000 rpm.
With the bike gearbox, the zooki gearbox, and the Transfer case gears the gearing would be, well, low.
I doubt if the bike clutch could handle the weight and torque available through all the gear options though.
Paul.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice... I had the same idea of mounting the motor directly to the t-case. No need for a tranny.... Just wish I had the resources to play with the idea.

RedNeckRea said:
FYI, electric buggy has already been done and should be in competition next year. do a search in the competition forum, I believe TONY K is building it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he reason I had been thinking about a vee twin was that with 1000+ cc's and only 2 cylinders there should be tons of torque. That plus the doubling of the HP and a lighter engine should make a good combination.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've kicked this idea around a couple of times...

Remember that if you want to hook straight up to the t-case, you need to find a bike engine that came from the factory with a reverse gear.

NO v-twins that i know of have a reverse gear.
Also don't know if a bike clutch could handle this. They do fine with 1 wheel to handle on a ~300-500lb bike. I'm pretty sure it wont handle a locked up, geared, heavy buggy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts