Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to transport my 4runner to NC from CA. Usually I do things my own way and later realize there was a better/cheaper option haha..

Any tips? So far I have thrown my phone number out there on some website for a quote and now every shipping company in America calls me, every 5 minutes from 6am to 12pm...

Im guessing its like buying your first car, you're going to get robbed if you dont know the ropes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This may sound retarded, but if I were you, I'd go on your local Craigslist, find a cheap flat utility trailer (something around 2k) and tow it behind your moving van. Once you get to where you are going, sell it on the local Craigslist. I bought my trailer from a guy who moved from Georgia doing the exact same thing (I'm in southern California).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
This may sound retarded, but if I were you, I'd go on your local Craigslist, find a cheap flat utility trailer (something around 2k) and tow it behind your moving van. Once you get to where you are going, sell it on the local Craigslist. I bought my trailer from a guy who moved from Georgia doing the exact same thing (I'm in southern California).

Not a bad idea, trailers in SoCal seem to sell for more than any other state. :shaking:

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Yep, you may even make some money on it. It's like people buying used trailers never price new ones. I'm confident I could at least break even on my trailer I bout new 3 years ago.... might even make a few bucks

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Or throw a flat tow bar on it. If your Mexican you could probably get away with a Cain of 4 of them behind the moving truck

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
Not a bad idea, trailers in SoCal seem to sell for more than any other state. :shaking:
Wanna bet?

Trailer is a good idea if you're driving. Break even, instead of money down the drain...

I drove my truck TX to Or, then had a private hauler flatbed it Or to Ak. It was about the same cost for each leg.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
You're gonna be $1200-1900 depending on actual mileage through an auto transport carrier is my semi educated guess. I'd probably stay away from the lowest bidder unless they can tell you why their rate is so low.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts

This..but buy 4 spare tires and a set of magnetic tow lights for when yours fail.

Sell it all when you get home.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Originally I was going to rent a uhaul and a trailer to pull behind it...thought I was golden until I priced out a uhaul. It was something around $2500 for the small one. Then another $900-$1100 (ball park, cant remember) for the trailer.

So that kinda changed my mind and I started looking at other methods. I was quoted $950 to have it transported for me and I expect that to be the suck you in price...then another ~$400 added at delivery haha.

Im not moving to NC. Just my truck and tools/spare parts (Familys garage). Im moving to Japan for 3 years :( so even if I did just tow it with my dd, Id need an enclosed trailer. That way I can put the truck and my tools in it.

Plan right now is to ship the 4runner and then drive out a week or two later with a small enclosed trailer. No one rents enclosed trailers 1 way and auto transport services (that Ive seen) wont transport personal items with a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Or option 2. The Marine Corps is going to store all of my household goods that I dont take to Japan. Im just concerned about my tools coming up missing when I get back. Storage/moving is all contracted out and so you never know whos in your shit ya know. Maybe Im just paranoid? That would save me over $1000 but could cost me triple in the long run.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Or option 2. The Marine Corps is going to store all of my household goods that I dont take to Japan. Im just concerned about my tools coming up missing when I get back. Storage/moving is all contracted out and so you never know whos in your shit ya know. Maybe Im just paranoid? That would save me over $1000 but could cost me triple in the long run.
Can you buy insurance for your tools? That might be the peace of mind you need.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
$950 to go almost 2400mi? Lets say 2350. Math that and you get right around .40 cpm...no one is hauling for that, unless they are a shady as fuck outfit that has 3 fob foreigner drivers in 1 truck.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Can you buy insurance for your tools? That might be the peace of mind you need.
Of course. I have insurance on them right now too. But then again, Im going to do some wheeling one weekend in NC...may need them haha
$950 to go almost 2400mi? Lets say 2350. Math that and you get right around .40 cpm...no one is hauling for that, unless they are a shady as fuck outfit that has 3 fob foreigner drivers in 1 truck.
I dont know? But like I mentioned, I've been getting calls and email quotes 24hrs a day and they have all been from $850 - $1100. I just figured its cheaper because it will be on a truck with 4-8 other vehicles on it also....so I'm only paying my "share"?

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I dont stay up on auto transport rates, but that just seems ridiculous.

Although the co's that are spamming you are usually bottom of the barrel brokers. They throw out a rate, then if you accept it, it gets tossed on a load board or they call up one of their shitty transport co. who will take anything anywhere.

And yes, it'll get tossed on a 9 car hauler. It'll get juggled around on the trailer as they pick up and drop off other vehicles all over the states on the way east. So you'll have some fucktard who barely knows how to drive a cmv forward in a straight line moving your vehicle off and on a transport trailer multiple times.

Maybe if Im bored tomorrow I'll check into more for you.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts

Sell your tool boxes and pack your tools in regular boxes labeled "fragile dishes"! all over it:D

Having made trips all over, It may very well cost you a lot more in the long run to drive and tow yourself across country if you have issues or break downs.

where do you want/plan to live after? If its north carolina and they will store your stuff, id take that gamble and ship the yota that you care about home.

For the daily driver, its its a run of the mill truck Id sell it, no sense in loosing 3 years of depreciation, plus it sitting and rotting anyways. You may very well find yourself wanting to buy a ride while your in japan too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Having a vehicle shipped cross country is something I would be happy to NEVER have to do again.

My situation was different from yours, as it was a classic car in nearly perfect condition. I think all the stresses are still going to be the same, though.

One thing to be aware of is 9 out of 10 times, they don't just pull the trailer up in front of your house and load up. The car I bought was in Ukiah, CA and every broker I talked to wanted the car in Santa Rosa to be picked up. After the good deal I got, and the previous owner of the car battling cancer, I couldn't ask him to jump through all of those hoops for me.

Like others have said, your vehicle will be juggled around quite a few times before it gets to you. I didn't want that to happen either. Also, all times are "estimated" as far as pick up and delivery goes. My pick up was smooth, but ended up getting to the east coast about 4 days late. Just make sure not to plan your schedule around your truck arriving on time.

Long story short, I paid $2300 to have a 55 Chevy shipped from Ukiah, CA to my town in MD in an enclosed trailer where it sat in the front/bottom spot the whole way. I was lucky enough to have family out there who supervised the entire loading process and took about a thousand pictures.

That was probably one of the most stressful 11 days of my life.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Having a vehicle shipped cross country is something I would be happy to NEVER have to do again.

My situation was different from yours, as it was a classic car in nearly perfect condition. I think all the stresses are still going to be the same, though.

One thing to be aware of is 9 out of 10 times, they don't just pull the trailer up in front of your house and load up. The car I bought was in Ukiah, CA and every broker I talked to wanted the car in Santa Rosa to be picked up. After the good deal I got, and the previous owner of the car battling cancer, I couldn't ask him to jump through all of those hoops for me.

Like others have said, your vehicle will be juggled around quite a few times before it gets to you. I didn't want that to happen either. Also, all times are "estimated" as far as pick up and delivery goes. My pick up was smooth, but ended up getting to the east coast about 4 days late. Just make sure not to plan your schedule around your truck arriving on time.

Long story short, I paid $2300 to have a 55 Chevy shipped from Ukiah, CA to my town in MD in an enclosed trailer where it sat in the front/bottom spot the whole way. I was lucky enough to have family out there who supervised the entire loading process and took about a thousand pictures.

That was probably one of the most stressful 11 days of my life.
Other than getting the car to the loading spot, which was sort of bullshit, what was so problematic?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Other than getting the car to the loading spot, which was sort of bullshit, what was so problematic?
In my case, it was finding a shipper/broker that was willing to ship the car the way I wanted it done, and the overall stress of putting what is essentially my "dream car" in the hands of someone else.

I probably talked to 50+ brokers, and ended every conversation feeling uneasy. For me it was like dealing with 50+ high pressure used car salesmen. No one seemed to want to make it easy, and wanted to tell me "how its done" in the industry.

Not only that, but in my mind, as soon as the dude loaded the car he was on his way to the Mexican border never to be seen again. :laughing:

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
I did Uship from CA to IA back in Jan-Feb and STILL get emails and calls asking if I need my vehicle shipped. Emails go to spam and #'s get blocked, but it's getting really fucking old.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts