Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new duck dropper, thought I'd see what the pbb has to say. Considering the rem versa max waterfowl pro or the Mossberg 935 flyway, maybe duck commander. Currently rocking a 17 year old mossberg 9200 12 gauge, seems like she's cycling slower and not ramming shells home as hard as she use to. This is part of the reason I'm leaning toward the Remington, my 25-26 year old 1100 20 still cycles flawlessly. Anyone have either that can share their experience? Also wondering about back boring vs. Overboring? I seem to remember seeing the rem is back bored, and the mossberg is overbored. Thoughts on which works best? No concern with recoil, just wondering why mossberg things firing a 12 gauge wad through a 10 gauge barrel is so great? Seems like running 25.06 through a 30.06 to me. Sorry for the long post, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
I have a Remington 11-87 that I love. Been beating it around for years with shit maintenance. Hasn't had problem one yet. Need to pull it apart and clean it. Haven't done that for a couple years. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Don't compare your 9200 to any current Mossberg. I had a 9200 and it was nice although I didnt use it much but the 930 is an all around better gun. For the price point i don't think you can go wrong with the Remy or Mossberg. My only advice would be try and keep/get guns with similar chokes so they crossover.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have a versa max and have shot the 935. The 935, has more recoil, needs to be cleaned more often, can't shoot slugs, and won't cycle 2 3/4" birdshot.

I like my versa max :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't looked at the Beretta outlander. Did look at the benelli SBE2 but I'm not willing to dump that much on a scatter gun. Had also looked at an 11-87 as it was recommended by a few people I know, but it looks like Remington stopped making the super mag (only one that takes 3.5" ?) I did see frumpy's post , my 9200 had the issue of shells catching the edge of the chamber. Was mostly old shells I was burning up on nuisance critters, seems ok with new ammo. Also sounds like his was modified where I'd leave mine stock.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The welded lifter was causing the issue. I sanded and polished the edge of the chamber and it's good to go :flipoff2:

I did see frumpy's post , my 9200 had the issue of shells catching the edge of the chamber. Was mostly old shells I was burning up on nuisance critters, seems ok with new ammo. Also sounds like his was modified where I'd leave mine stock.
Yup, modified lifter was causing the shells to not feed directly into the centre of the chamber. Good to go now though, never had the issue before the lifter was welded either.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I've got the VersaMax. I think its a damn good utility gun. I have never had an issue. It will cycle 12ga rounds that are only loaded with a light 20ga amount of powder.

this last weekend I shot a few dozen hi #6's are chuckar and walked to the sporting clay range and shot 50 club reloads. mine cycles everything I through at it.

Its my Turkey, pheasant, grouse, sporting clays, quail, trap, chuckar, goose, skeet, gun that I sometimes use driving deer. :flipoff2:

The other auto's I have shot kick a bit more. OR, like 1100's, are pretty picky about how much oil they get and how clean they need to be.

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
I have the 930 jm I use for 3 gun and dove. It cycles bird shot just fine as long as they are not ultra cheap light loads.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Another vote for the A300 outlander. All the good parts if the 3901 were retained and the gun was slimmed down. For another 100-200 bucks more than you'll pay for a mossberg or a versa max you're getting twice the gun from a company has a very good shotgun sector and will stand behind it.

-scott

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looked into the a400 outlander. Not bad but even the cheapest I've seen is over my budget, a versa max is at the high end. Whatever way I go, the gun needs to shoot 3.5" rounds for when the canadians start the air invasion. Extra range for turkey would be nice. Why no slugs out of the mossberg, any issues with them in the Remington or outlander? Slim chance I'd use it for deer in the thick junk but the option would be nice. And for Pete's sake, can someone please tell me why they all have the ga-hey rubber overmold grips? It isn't that hard to hold on to a gun.

For what it's worth, both of my Remington 48's still cycle perfectly and plenty fast for being painfully old (forgot the years). The 1100 has handled sub zero squirrel slaughters and never flinched. Part of the reason I'm looking at a new rem, not against a different company at all just want to make sure I don't piss away my pennies

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
There is no problem shooting slugs out of my 930 . But it is a 3 inch chamber.

And when I mentioned cheap shells, the only ones to give me a problem were Winchester universals but the cheap federal bulk packs run fine.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Looked into the a400 outlander. Not bad but even the cheapest I've seen is over my budget, a versa max is at the high end. Whatever way I go, the gun needs to shoot 3.5" rounds for when the canadians start the air invasion. Extra range for turkey would be nice. Why no slugs out of the mossberg, any issues with them in the Remington or outlander? Slim chance I'd use it for deer in the thick junk but the option would be nice. And for Pete's sake, can someone please tell me why they all have the ga-hey rubber overmold grips? It isn't that hard to hold on to a gun.

For what it's worth, both of my Remington 48's still cycle perfectly and plenty fast for being painfully old (forgot the years). The 1100 has handled sub zero squirrel slaughters and never flinched. Part of the reason I'm looking at a new rem, not against a different company at all just want to make sure I don't piss away my pennies
make sure you're looking at the a300 not a400. Should be able to find them in the mid 6's, 700 tops. Helluva gun. And with load development these days, I see no need for 3.5" capacity, YMMV.

Edit, on sale for 620:http://www.gitoutfitted.com/beretta-j30tt18-a300-outlander-12ga-3-28-mc3-p-28489.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts