Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a cell that is tall and thin??(vertical) I have a summit 20 gallon but it is a horizontal type and i found out (the hard way in competition) that it is possible to run out of gas with 15 gallons of fuel in the cell (going down hill, fuel pickup's in the back of the cell) Just wondering about options?? Maybe weld up the origanal hole and put it in the top so I can mount it vertical?? or who sells a vertical cell. Pic's? Oh, it is a bed mount in a toyota.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hmmm... I have the same one, sounds like I'm going to have to do something about this as well. From what I've heard on here, a weighted pickup is probably the best idea. Plug the hole at the pickup, and plumb a new one up top. Then use flexable line with a weight and some arangment to prevent it from sucking up against the side of the cell. I was thinking to build a V shaped frame for the pickup with a hose barb welded to some aluminum. Then just use a hose clamp to hold it down. I'd love to see some designs for this though. I wonder if anyone on here has pics of thiers.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
What I did to cure this problem on an efi truck with a stock pump in a cell was to cut 4" off of the bottom of a coolant jug,using the cut off bottom, rivet it to the bottom of the pump stand, and drilled a 3/8" hole in the rear of the jug. I then mounted the whole assy. at the rear of the cell. The return line emptys into the jug. It has worked great for over a year. and the jug hasn't melted or anything.
You could do something similar even if it is carburated. I would cut off as much jug as you can stuff into the hole and and build a stand that bolts to the filler ring to support it .

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm using a frame mounted pump so that won't work, but I may be able to adapt it. I'm EFI, so I could also try putting the return in a good spot as well. Thanks for the reply. Anyone know of a good source of tube that can handle being submerged in gas? I hear regular fuel line won't work.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
there are a couple of guys on this board that have maybe a 1 gal tank that's in between the tank and the engine. they have a small pump that pumps and fills the one gal tank and then another pump pulls from the small tank to the engine.

the theory being that the small tank is so small that at any angle it would still be able to get enough fuel to keep the vehicle running until the vehicle regains a somewhat level stance to refill the 1 gal tank.

they seem to have good luck with it. personally, that's just one more fuel pump in the equation to go bad ...

- jack

·
Registered
407 Posts
Interesting idea. I've been searching but haven't found anything. Any idea where to look for more info?

I came up with one idea I thought might work. The small tank would have one port on the bottom to feed the engine. Two on top, one would be intake from the primary tank, the second would be a vent/return line plumbed to a port on the main tank. That way, the tank could still breathe and any extra fuel pumped in while level would just cycle back to the main tank.

The weighted pickup seems simpler though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My problem is that i'm efi with a inline fuel pump so there is no hoses inside the cell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts