Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no knowledge of exact cababilities or even how to use this thing but, long story short.... This guy I know lost a relative, guy has an older Cincinati vertical mill with all sorts of tooling and what not that I know nothing about, its like 7ft tall and I can get it for 200 bucks anyone wanna learn me to use it :confused:

·
Registered
729 Posts
:flipoff2:

You is beyond larnin' I'll come down and get it from you that will save you space.:flipoff2:

Haven't used one myself yet, either. Have enough freinds (imagine that, I have freinds) that are machinists. It is on my to do list though. Been hanging out around our maint. area watching them. If nothing else fails come up here, I can hook you up w/some people.

Great score, fawker:flipoff2:

·
Registered
891 Posts
3 phase?

·
Registered
214 Posts
You might want to ask your question on this home machinist BB http://www.chaski.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php
If it was me, for $200 I'd just buy it and worry about its capabilities and how to use it later. I can't see how you can go wrong for the price. If its 3 phase maybe someone will chime in on how much a used converter costs to plug it into 1 phase. The hardest part will probably be trying to move the beast.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have moved a few that weighed in a 5-6 tons

And for it to be that cheap all of the guides are more than likely worn out and I would think the head would be extremly worn

·
Registered
670 Posts
$200.00 dollars for a american made milling machine that runs and comes with tooling- you arn't buying it- you are stealing it! unless it is very old and uses flat belt drive buy it. if it is 3 phase don't worry- i described how to build a rotary phase converter in a post approx. 6 weeks ago- should still be viewable under my post history? if not e mail me for info- good luck with your new machine!

·
Registered
543 Posts
That will most likely have a National Machine Tool Builders (NMTB) 50 taper. You can get used 50 taper tool holders pretty cheap. It will have power feed and most likley rapid traverse in X, Y, and Z movements of the table. It is highly unlikely that it is worn out unless it was abused badly. You can even get a NMTB 50 to R8 taper adaptor and use regular Bridgeport type tooling. It is heavyer duty than a bridgeport by far. It is a bit on the large side for regular home use. You will need at leas 30 amps of 220- 240 volt sevice near it to make it run. You can buy a static or make a rotary phase converter.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Hey all thanks for the links to the home machinest forums, ive been looking for a good starting point to learn about that kind of stuff... Thanks -yag

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
IIRC the one that we moved into the shop I used to work at came on a roll back car carrier. If you can get your hands on 5-6 lengths of 2" pipe to stick under it you can roll it anywhere. Jbar and a comealong are your friends!

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Johann is right. Several years ago, I moved a big-ass kearney and trecker horizontal mill using a floor jack, four pieces of heavy pipe, a come-along and a tilt bed trailer. I had a similarly big-assed lathe delivered on the back of a car hauler as described previously. The driver put the machine exactly where I wanted it just using the bed hydraulics. Cost-$40, including hauling a few miles.

As for the price, that is right about what I have seen domestic mills bringing at auction lately so the price is acceptable. However, I think I might price the Cincinatti a little bit lower than a J-type bridgeport due to taper etc. That said, you can get 50 taper to R-8 adapters, although it won't be as convenient as if you could just run R-8 collets.

Even if it is worn out, if you're not trying to do production work, it will be fine for onesy twosy work. I use a badly worn South Bend B-model lathe for everything and if I'm patient, I can turn out pretty good turned parts.

As for instruction, call your local high school and inquire about adult continuing ed. You'll be far ahead going this route as you will be less likely to get hurt, damage the machine, or break mill bits!

A single phase motor can be purchased from any of a number of sources for about $250 for a chinese motor. Keep shopping around. Grizzly often has sales on motors that are downright cheap. Three phase power can be expensive to have run to your house if it isn't close by to start with. Some phase converters are very inefficient and can end up costing you more in wasted power and heat in the shop than a good motor. As far as reversibility is concerned, I have never needed to turn a mill bit backwards (although, if one were to be using reverse twist bits to cut out a broken piece, it might be necessary, but in the interests of cost, you might be willing to forego this).

Paul

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info and links guys, I cant wait to learn how to use the fawker, Im thinking the local community college may have something along the lines of training maybe I can get some know how there! Believe me I planned to buy it regardless of my knowledge, it is a steal!

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Pdaddy said:
Thanks for all the info and links guys, I cant wait to learn how to use the fawker, Im thinking the local community college may have something along the lines of training maybe I can get some know how there! Believe me I planned to buy it regardless of my knowledge, it is a steal!
My bro-in-law is a tool and dier for a living and might be able to help ya out. He lives not to far from you. Once you get it, Gimme the specs on it and I'll tell him and see what he says/knows about it.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
PTSchram said:
. As far as reversibility is concerned, I have never needed to turn a mill bit backwards (although, if one were to be using reverse twist bits to cut out a broken piece, it might be necessary, but in the interests of cost, you might be willing to forego this).

Paul
Paul,

You've never installed a slotting saw backwards? :D That is the one time I do run my mill in reverse (actually helps keep the swarf and coolant splash directed where is does the least harm).

VFD (Variable Frequency Drives) are a good deal. Don't worry about getting ride of the 3 phase motor yet, even with the old capacitor start boxes I've run my three phase stuff with no problems.

Next thing you know... you spend $200 on a mill, and wonder how you got up to $5000 in tooling. :)

I'm really a sick one... now I find myself looking at EDM (ram & wire) auctions thinking of possibilities of running unattended machines (hmm... if the machine runs unattended, does that count towards my 500 hour annual minimum time for IRS)?

Yes, nothing like the feel of making metal chips. Even better after a crazy day, as it feels like I did something productive! :D

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Tom:
No, I haven't run a slitting saw backwards, in fact, I rarely get to do much wheel spinning anymore. The better you get at something in American manufacturing, the less of it you get to do!

Recently, my wife's uncle informed me that he has an almost new Bridgeport in his garage... Next thing I know, he's offering me a garage door opener so that I won't even need to bother him, should I need to use it! Now that the Series Rover project is moving along, I might have a need for it.

Paul

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
roundrocktom said:

Next thing you know... you spend $200 on a mill, and wonder how you got up to $5000 in tooling. :)

Tom :usa:
It has a shitload of tooling with it, I just dont know what any of it is! LOL :eek:

·
that guy
2,609 Posts
Not a bad deal for that!!

I would say you found a deal also. As far as learning machinig take another 3 or 4 hundred dollars and go to a few machining classes at your local vocational school night classes. I am a machinist by trade and I've been doing it for 11 years and I will say I've just scrached the surface when it comes to machining and all the types of machinery used especialy these days. :beer: :beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.