Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what years these are from?
An exploded view with part numbers would be awesome. They don't show on SORs website.
The passenger side is missing the window mechanism and of course the mirrors are wrong.

Thanks in advance...

Phil

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
prolly can change out the upper door frame(from a normal top 40) and use them on a normal top 40, the bottoms are the same

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Landpimp said:
prolly can change out the upper door frame(from a normal top 40) and use them on a normal top 40, the bottoms are the same
Look again John. The lock-latch mechanism does not have a rectangular mounting plate. The door access panel is on sideways compared to the later ones. The long skinny slot that is supposed to be associated with a window regulator looks more like an access point for softtop door window adjustment. IN OTHER WORDS, they are very, very different.

I've seen doors like that only once. The guy who showed me the truck said it was a 63. Considering how iffy titles were back at that point, wouldn't suprise me if CruiserNerd chimed in saying these were 61 or 62s, which is what I suspect.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I know that they are different :D I am saying you can take the lower door and use a latter upper and it will(should) work on a normal top 40........or use them on a corragated top 40 or hard top 25.

65SWB45 said:
Look again John. The lock-latch mechanism does not have a rectangular mounting plate. The door access panel is on sideways compared to the later ones. The long skinny slot that is supposed to be associated with a window regulator looks more like an access point for softtop door window adjustment. IN OTHER WORDS, they are very, very different.

I've seen doors like that only once. The guy who showed me the truck said it was a 63. Considering how iffy titles were back at that point, wouldn't suprise me if CruiserNerd chimed in saying these were 61 or 62s, which is what I suspect.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
think I will get a scanner 1st ;)

actually my parts book will do you no good........the part #'s don't cross over to the newer system.......but neat to look at :D

Cruiser Nerd said:
From a FJ25 to '63 FJ40. Landpimp has the parts book, if he sends it to me, I'll scan it. ;)

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Landpimp said:
I know that they are different :D I am saying you can take the lower door and use a latter upper and it will(should) work on a normal top 40........or use them on a corragated top 40 or hard top 25.
The later 40 door uppers with the rotating windwing have a stud coming out of the bottom of the vent window that is supported in the lower door. The early doors have no provision for this stud, or supporting this type of window.

I have thought about swapping some newer uppers on to my 65lwb, but stop myself each time I remember this. Maybe I'll just paint another set of doors [rattle can- you know me] or break down and order a pair of those bugcatcher weatherstrips from Chef. Haven't decided yet. Top's still off, and with the leak from the 'new' gas tank, isn't likely to go on soon! :mad3:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
ah.............very true Obi Wan :D forgot about the vent stud

Eric is gonna have that problem if thats what he is planing on doing

65SWB45 said:
The later 40 door uppers with the rotating windwing have a stud coming out of the bottom of the vent window that is supported in the lower door. The early doors have no provision for this stud, or supporting this type of window.

I have thought about swapping some newer uppers on to my 65lwb, but stop myself each time I remember this. Maybe I'll just paint another set of doors [rattle can- you know me] or break down and order a pair of those bugcatcher weatherstrips from Chef. Haven't decided yet. Top's still off, and with the leak from the 'new' gas tank, isn't likely to go on soon! :mad3:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey Phil.. I've got a 65 bugcatcher top half for a passenger side to trade for the top half on one of those doors if ya need! :) Just trying to make it fit fer ya!
The difference is the extended lip on the top of the channel..
Or if you do swap out the tops on those doors for the later stuff let me know. I have one bugcatcher top pass half (wrong for my junk) and one wing window (Way wrong for my junk) pass top half that i"m not gonna be using.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are great! :D

I knew one of you would know. The year being up to 63 fits as I obtained a 63 corrugated top at the same time, although I didn't think they were a set.

I don't need to modify them as I have other doors in my parts stash. I'll keep them intact and either repair them if I can find the parts or sell them.

Any ideas who might have parts? At the least, the pass side needs a window mechanism.

Phil

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
not sure if the 63 hard top might give you problems on anything but a 25 or up to 63 fj40, those have the post behind the door that sticks up when the top if off.............and I KNOW I am not making myself clear.

I'll try to snap a pic of my parts diagram.......

PJohnson said:
You guys are great! :D

I knew one of you would know. The year being up to 63 fits as I obtained a 63 corrugated top at the same time, although I didn't think they were a set.

I don't need to modify them as I have other doors in my parts stash. I'll keep them intact and either repair them if I can find the parts or sell them.

Any ideas who might have parts? At the least, the pass side needs a window mechanism.

Phil

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
sounds like the hardtop post that goes into the body normally is reversed and sticks into the hardtop not the body? I can see why they changed that! :)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
yup.

tornadoalleycruiser said:
sounds like the hardtop post that goes into the body normally is reversed and sticks into the hardtop not the body? I can see why they changed that! :)

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
tornadoalleycruiser said:
No Erik, it's much worse than that. The pillar in the back of the doorway that the hardtop pole goes into, THAT PILLAR sticks up like 6" higher than the rest of the bedrail, instead of being flush with it. Absolute PITA. And yes, the hardtop has a matching cut out of it's forward pillar, so the pole in the hardtop only comes down even with the bottom of the top.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
from 1962, top and doors

as you can see the part #'s won't get you far........."MAYBE" .....just "maybe" a REAL good parts guy might know someone in Toyota that can cross them to the more modern #, I had luck ONCE with this. But I would bet all the parts are LONG LONG gone :(

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Landpimp, you are da man! :smokin:
Thank you very much!

I agree that the part numbers may not be very useful, but the exploded view and the descriptions will help a lot. When I ask about used parts, I can provide a diagram and description with a pic :D

As for the corrugated top I have, it has the same front post design as the later models I have seen, so it may not be a '63. I was only told it was '63, no direct confirmation.

This board ROCKS :flipoff2:

Phil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts