Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 80's 302 died suddenly last weekend. The coil was hot, very hot. We let it cool and it would not run at all. So I put a new coil on it. Now when I try to start it, it wont run, AND the coil gets hot again. The coil gets too hot to touch just by trying to starting it.

We had power out of both sides of the resistor when we checked with a test light. Could the resistor have gone bad and allowing too much voltage through?

It has an Atomic EFI system but I need to make sure it is not that. It does not control timing.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sounds to me like your coil is staying powered and not receiving a trigger signal(negative side of the coil is staying grounded.) Check your ignition module and distributor pickup, it could also be a tach signal wire rubbed to ground if you have one running off of the coil.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds to me like your coil is staying powered and not receiving a trigger signal(negative side of the coil is staying grounded.) Check your ignition module and distributor pickup, it could also be a tach signal wire rubbed to ground if you have one running off of the coil.
Can I replace the distributor pickup? I am assuming that is the single wire coming out of the dist.

I will check the tach signal wire.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is it a points distributor? Have you ever adjusted the points gap?

Exactly what year & model are the engine & ignition system from (or IN)?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is it a points distributor? Have you ever adjusted the points gap?

Exactly what year & model are the engine & ignition system from (or IN)?
Depending on who you believe its either a 80 or 81 302 block. Different forums have different answers.

ING system is a small top single wire dist. Magnetic pick up. Vacuum advance.

3 wires to/from the coil. 1 Dist, 1 Tach, 1, power from Atomic EFI system.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sounds like maybe a points distributor with some sort of electronic conversion? Not stock for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts