Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to add a on board air system to my YJ.

VIAIR makes an electric model system in several flavors.

Anyone using one of these ? Which model did you use ?

How do you like it ?

How fast will it fill a 37 x 12.50 from 15 to 35 lbs ?

Where did you mount the stuff in a YJ ?

Using the factory AC compressor.

I have the factory AC compressor/mounting (93/94 vintage) but it is not a York design. York seems to be the favorite cause of it`s built in oiler system.

Anyone use the standard non-York compressor ? How well does it work ? How did ya set it up ?

Any links to a good set up with the non Yorker ?

TIA

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have had great luck with my extremeair compressor. I mounted it just below the brake booster and have had good luck, I also have one on my powerstroke and havent had any problems. They are 4 cfm. I have never used the Viaair but when I was buying my compressor I didnt see anything from them that flowed as much as these for the same price.
Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
I converted my sanden AC compressor to on board air, and as long as you keep an eye on the oil, its not an issue. I LOVE having an on board air compressor. I wouldn't touch an electric. Its got nothing on onboard air.
Scott

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Po,
Thanks for the reply.

How are you supplying oil to the compressor ? Inline oiler of some sort ?

What about the tank ? If all I want is to inflate tires do I need a tank ?

Details please !!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I run a CO2 tank and it is awesome, but refilling is a pain. You can use it away from your own rig and seating a bead is cake. That's the one thing I wonder about the electric models. I guess with a decent tank and pressure they could reseat your tire pretty easily.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
heres another vote for a york/sanden compressor conversion, a lot cheaper and works awesome.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I've sold about 1000 ViAir compressors in the last 2 years. They are inexpensive and slow compared to a York or Sanden (the labor, custom brackets and parts required add up). Truth is... ViAirs work well for a great price and easy install. We have performance specs w/ air fill times on our site. The Warn PowerPlant is the best. It is a winch w/ compressor and outperforms them all but you're looking at $1295.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I run a CO2 tank and it is awesome, but refilling is a pain. You can use it away from your own rig and seating a bead is cake. That's the one thing I wonder about the electric models. I guess with a decent tank and pressure they could reseat your tire pretty easily.
A quick spray of starting fluid and a BIC lighter will reseat your tire pretty quickly too....:D

It is a little exciting your first time doing it though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts