Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am evaluating a 95 F150 for my DD purposes. It gets a nasty vibration between 40ish and up to about 65ish then it sorta simmers down. Could it be possible that this thing has a bad drive shaft or u-joints? Its so dang cold and wet that every time I get under the thing I get socked with nasty brown/black snow. So I am not able to see much yet.

If this is a stupid newbie question, sorry please move. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
That vibration COULD be the u-joints or something associated with the driveshaft. BUT ... I've had a few battles with vibrations, and they usually aren't what you expect. Generally, if I test drive something that has a vibration, I won't touch it. Usually bad u-joints are associated with a "tinkling" sound, which comes before the vibrations. Drive it around with windows open (back on if it has it), and listen for the u-joint making noise when you accelerate. You can also crawl under it and see if there is abnormal play in the joints. Also, look at the driveshaft for obvious damage (dents, scraps, bends). If you can't identifiy it for sure then who know what could be causing it.

Good luck

Don

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Most 8.8's the pinion nut loosens and causes that bad vib

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Other possibilities: driveshaft out of balance, didn't get mounted back up in original position relative to rear end, clutch out of balance, etc.

Experience between myself and my brother (Priest), we've run into all of these. I think the worst was when his clutch was out of balance. The shop he had balance it told him that it's amazing how many aftermarket clutches come out of the box out of balance.....and people don't realize it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks guys! :) I think I can handle this. I had the tires balanced and rotated and that took care of a lot of it. I found out the the Ujoints were replaced 70k miles ago so I think they might be a problem. This truck was just to cheap to pass up. I will check out the pinion nut on this thing for sure. My Explorer has done that before. Is the Torque settings for an 8.8 in an Explorer the same as an F150? I don't have a Fseries book yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
rpenner54 said:
Cool, thanks guys! :) I think I can handle this. I had the tires balanced and rotated and that took care of a lot of it. I found out the the Ujoints were replaced 70k miles ago so I think they might be a problem. This truck was just to cheap to pass up. I will check out the pinion nut on this thing for sure. My Explorer has done that before. Is the Torque settings for an 8.8 in an Explorer the same as an F150? I don't have a Fseries book yet.

Yes, 8.8 is 8.8 with the gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts