Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a low speed vibration in my 88 chevy k1500 ext cab 4x4. It has a 383 and a 700r4. I recently replaced the motor and installed a new torque converter. The problem was there before the swap, but it seems to be getting much worse. I don't know if the transmission could be causing this vibration or what, but when I accelerate from a stop it feels like I am running off the edge of the interstate over those closely spaced bumps on the berm.
I checked my carrier bearing and there is some play there. I am going to replace that ASAP. I don't THINK that bearing is causing all the vibes I am getting though...
I don't know where to look first. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

Bubba

·
Registered
143 Posts
I say check the angle of your pinion vs the angle of your t-case output. If they are not very close to parallel, it could be causing vibes.

Could be worn out slip yoke (if you have a slip yoke)?

I’m sure you check the u-joints? Slop in pinion and t-case output flange? Slop anywhere else?

BTW, if you want to wheel sometime with us, check out www.mountaineeroffroad.com. Click the forums for the club message board. Most of our trails are around Summersville.

·
Registered
210 Posts
use a hose clamp. just the weight of the worm gear can be
enough to point out the exact problem. just turn it a little
at a time until the vibe is gone that will tell ypu where the
problem is. hopefully that helps if not, oh well :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I'm going to have to say u-joint as well. In one case, a friend had a similar vibration. Against my better judgement, we replaced the u-joints which had no visible slop, and the vibration went away. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also make sure your drive lines are in phase.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
driveline phase

I dont think that there would be an issue of in/out of phase. The driveshafts are all stock and have not been taken apart recently. I hope that the carrier bearing and maybe a couple new ujoints will cure my woes. I just don't want to have to put a new tranny in this old thing after just dropping the coin on the 383...

Thanks for the advice.

Brian

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Man, not to be an ass but if you could replace an engine you should be able to find a vibration.
It could be any of the above mentioned but you allready knew that.
Lay under you rig and check things out if its loose replace it .
This should be in the newbie section:rolleyes:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shudder

The thing that leads me AWAY from the ujoints is that it is more of a shudder when i take off from a standstill.... Would a ujoint/carrier bearing problem not get wose at speed instead of better?

Brian:confused:

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
My bad, I can see how this is an extreme hardcore question and or tec. :rolleyes:

Dont call me an ass because YOUR too fawkin stupid to fix YOUR fawked up truck.
If its broke fix it , if it vibrates figure out what is causing it and stop being so fawkin lazy:flipoff:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts