Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1965 fj45 for $300. I didnt get a title for it. I looked for a vin plate near the driver door hinges like my 71 fj40 and found nothing. Is it located elsewhere? Or has it been removed. I'd post some pics but I dropped my digi camera and it quit working.
Thanks guys
Shaun:D

·
Banned
471 Posts
VIN #

Look on the passenger side front frame horn. It
should be engraved in the frame itself. It will start
like FJ45------.

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Should also have an ID plate inside the engine compartment, I want to say the inside passenger front fender? Or is it on the firewall, towards the driver side?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
my 67 fj45 had no VIN plate anywere(but on the frame) but it should have had one on the passanger side firewall like my 65.

John H

·
Registered
426 Posts
from my experience-
E-mid 1965 on firewall near heater opening (or in that area for pre heater vehicles)
1965-1966 on drivers fender
1966 (mid/late) and later on passenger fender.

"T" tags can be on any of three locations (rebadge) in aluminum or brass. Few T-64's, but 65, 66, and 67's are common.

most up to 1964 had the date stamped on the ID badge.

Door jamb tags appear in 1968.
(so no US 45's)
windshield frame in 1981.

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
As usual. mrwagon is right on from my limited experience. My '65 is on the passenger's-side firewall and my '67 has it on the passenger's fender skirt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I tried to find it today after i got off work with no success. It was dark and I was using a flashlight. I have the day off tommorrow so I'll try it again.
I never actually seen one of these things. Being a cruiser nut this is exciting. Two things that stand out in my mind are the rear sway bar, and second the wipers. Were are they! There is also a bar mounted on each side below the windsheild. Nothing left but these bars. They have to pivots at the top were in mounts to the body and one at the bottom of the bar. Anybody know what these are?
Thanks, Shaun

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
VIN/Chassis number front right frame horn

Body/engine, rear right of the firewall, mdel designation etc, rear left of the tunnel cover (still on he firewall, but towards the centre due to clutch and brake assemblies) all models from 1970-1989 had this!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wasn't there also a number on the pass. shock tower on some models?
My '72 had one.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
fj40mon said:
Thanks guys. I tried to find it today after i got off work with no success. It was dark and I was using a flashlight. I have the day off tommorrow so I'll try it again.
I never actually seen one of these things. Being a cruiser nut this is exciting. Two things that stand out in my mind are the rear sway bar, and second the wipers. Were are they! There is also a bar mounted on each side below the windsheild. Nothing left but these bars. They have to pivots at the top were in mounts to the body and one at the bottom of the bar. Anybody know what these are?
Thanks, Shaun
Ah so it's a long bed = rear sway bar

Wipers should be on the top of the window frame, one motor on each side.

No clue what the bars are......got pics?

John H

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I finally found the #'s on the frame horn. I never did find a badge of any kind on the body or fenders. Oh yeah and the bars I was refering to, there morrors ......duh! Can somebody explain to me what a rebadge is? Lastly, What is your opinion on towing my 40 on a 1500 lbs., 18 foot double axle trailer. ( with electric brakes). Last time I weighed my 40 it was about 4550 lbs.

Probably a dumb question. Just wondered if anybody has done this. It sure would be neat to see that going down the road. Maybe with some axles and springs id be doable.
Thanks for the help guys.
Shaun:eek:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
fj40mon said:
Well I finally found the #'s on the frame horn. I never did find a badge of any kind on the body or fenders. Oh yeah and the bars I was refering to, there morrors ......duh! Can somebody explain to me what a rebadge is? Lastly, What is your opinion on towing my 40 on a 1500 lbs., 18 foot double axle trailer. ( with electric brakes). Last time I weighed my 40 it was about 4550 lbs.

Probably a dumb question. Just wondered if anybody has done this. It sure would be neat to see that going down the road. Maybe with some axles and springs id be doable.
Thanks for the help guys.
Shaun:eek:
rebaged, I believe means its was built in say 65 and sold in 66 and has had a small round tag(brass in my case) attached to the VIN plate that would say T66, at least this is what my 65 fj40 has on it. Basicly...a left over model.

Oh I had a feeling it was mirrors ;)
John H

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have i 65 FJ45 short bed removable top and it came with the rear sway bar. Also, seeing as how this rig was so cheap and apparently missing the obvious VIN tags and title, you should probably bump the VIN# on the frame horn up to the stolen FJ45 listed on the TLCA site. Check here....
http://www.tlca.org/missing/index.html
PMK

Landpimp said:

Ah so it's a long bed = rear sway bar

Wipers should be on the top of the window frame, one motor on each side.

No clue what the bars are......got pics?

John H

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only see one 65 there and its a shortbed with a v8. This is a longbed all original. Ya I got it cheap but there isnt a straight panel on this thing and plenty of rust. I going to give washington state the vin# and have them run it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Good deal then! whata score.
I can beat it though.
I was PAID 300 bucks to fix the brakes and remove a FJ45 SWB/RT from my Uncles property. He bought it years ago, had (i think) Earl Warden do a a V8/th400/saginaw/arb swap on it. He drove it to work for a number of years, then parked it. It sat for about 7 years there. Then one day someone knocks on his door and offers him 300 bucks for it. Well that just pissed him off, he knew what it was/was worth, and I remember as a kid how long it took him to find the thing, he had 2 LWBs and a 40 before that. He says to the guy "I'd just as soon give it away as to sell it to you for 300 bucks", and with that he picks up the phone, calls me, and asks if I want it. Well HELL YEA. After I worked on those godforsaken POS, PIA, brakes for a week, my aunt sneaks down and tells me thats the worst trade my uncle ever made, we feel bad... take this (300 bucks)!! Wild huh! Now I have a 40 to beat-up on, and the 45 should be re-assembled for the 45 run this year. see ya there!
BTW, I didn't intend to accuse anyone or anything.
PMK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts