Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well My buddy just informed me that his parents are thinking of selling their 1984/85 not sure exactly what year 2wd F-250.

6.9motor/ NP435 new brakes new tires blah blah blah very well maintained.
repainted last year,Ryno ined bed at the same time.
has campershell too.

100,000 miles on this thing

They are probably going to ask $3,00, t0 $3,500 for it. Probably sell it to me for less.

My buddy already told his parents I would be interested.
I've used this truck to tow my junk in the past and was impressed with it. I had only towed with a 3/4 ton GMC 4x4 with a 400 small block previously.

I'm just looking for your comments on these old work horses.
Should I get it?
Is the price right?
I have no idea.
I really can't afford one of the cool turboed 94 or newer powerstroke dealio's.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Has it been fitted with a turbo kit? The '85 F350 dually 6.9/4 spd manual wasn't and it sure needed it at higher elavations.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My DD and occasional tow rig is an 85 F350 with a 6.9 and a C6. I really like the truck itself and it drives fine around town. Since it doesn't have overdrive, I tend to keep the highway speeds down since it's revving so high.
Towing with it is an exercise in patience. Flat ground it'll tow my FJ40 on a trailer at 65, but put any hill in front of it and you're doing 45.
Seems to be a pretty bulletproof rig though. Especially with as low miles as you're talking about. Add a turbo to it and you'll have a pretty nice tow rig.
Lots of info on this at www.thedieselstop.com . Go to the 6.9 section.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The other thing is some people had problems with the heads on 6.9s. check to see if they have been reconned.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this one has some crazy filter system for the radiator.

and the water and stuff is changed yearly.

It doesn't have a turbo and I would plan on getting one. I'd probably ad a gear vendors overdrive gear splitter thing.
I know that when we took it up Ice house I was constantly wishing I had a gear to use between 3rd and 4th.and 2nd and 3rd.

Banks

ATS.

Both seem to cost about the same after you add up all the extras and such.

What are your Turbo preferaces.
Durability, Maintenance Blah blah blah.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
70~K5 said:
The other thing is some people had problems with the heads on 6.9s. check to see if they have been reconned.
What sort of problems with the heads.
I doubt the heads have been off this truck.
This thing has been babied it's whole life.

I have also heard that some sort of work should be done to the heads when a turbo is installed.

What needs to be done to the heads?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure it's an NP435.

Looks just like the tranny that is going into my CJ-7

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I know my old 86 4x4 had a T-19, and I have never heard of a NP-435 behind the 6.9 from the factory, but anything is possible. They are similar in size though. The NP-435 should be 10.7" long:

The T-18/T-19 should be 11.9" long:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are probably right about the tranny though.

I have been drunk everytime I looked under the truck.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Monkeyboy said:
I know this one has some crazy filter system for the radiator.

and the water and stuff is changed yearly.
Those two things are what will really make that engine worth looking into. The 6.9's and 7.3s are as prone to cavitation as any Powerstroke and most owners of them don't know a thing about it. That "crazy" filter system probably incorporates coolant additive tablets to help prevent cavitation. Besides regular oil and fuel filter changes the best thing you can do to make an International diesel in a Ford live a long life is to change the coolant and keep the additives in it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
CSP said:

Those two things are what will really make that engine worth looking into. The 6.9's and 7.3s are as prone to cavitation as any Powerstroke and most owners of them don't know a thing about it. That "crazy" filter system probably incorporates coolant additive tablets to help prevent cavitation. Besides regular oil and fuel filter changes the best thing you can do to make an International diesel in a Ford live a long life is to change the coolant and keep the additives in it.
The 6.9 never had nearly the cavitation problems that the 7.3IDI and Powerstrokes have had. The 6.9 has thicker cylinder walls which greatly reduces the amount of cavatation in thease engines. If the coolant has been changed yearly I wopuldn't even consider it an issue with the 6.9.

JasonH: $148 for a starter? up here you are talking $800-1000 for one, depending on how bad you need it. Lucky Bastid:flipoff2:

$3500 would be about $5300 Can. which would make it overpriced up here, but I live in a Province where 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are more common than Honda Accords.

·
Premium Member
23,680 Posts
jasonmt said:

$3500 would be about $5300 Can. which would make it overpriced up here, but I live in a Province where 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are more common than Honda Accords.
You can't compare used car prices by the exchange rate. Used cars and trucks seem to be quite a bit cheaper in Canada... I mean used cars and trucks are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE up here so all you Americans stay home and don't come up here to buy our used vehicles because they are overpriced. (Do you think they bought it?)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.