Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just read something in the land cruiser forum that sounds very interesting. BJ On Roids has developed a home made traction control device that works with wheel speed sensors, two air over hydro master cylinders, and a small microcomputer. Anyone else have any info on this. Anyone else try to build one? I have programming experience with single board micro controllers so that part is easy. What i need to know is what is involved with installing abs wheel speed sensors on a '94 ford hp60 front axle? Are there aftermarket abs systems available? Any links would be appreciated.

Here is a quote of his description (LSD=limited slip dif):

quote:Originally posted by Stupid frnch jackasS
so how does this traction control system works ? is that a modified LSD or ???
answer:
Stock LSD, speed sensors on the front wheels go to a computer which activate the front brakes independently (with some air over hydraulic master cylinders) when it sees any wheel spin. The LSD is there to make the whole setup work faster and so that it doesent have to put te brakes on as hard because the LSD will start to lock up with a small amount of brake pressure. The traction control does the same thing as any factory electronic traction control system although ours works much better.

Sam

"end quote

What amazes me is that he only mentions the system on the last page of the thread, and then nothing. I cant believe that no one else is interested or has questions.:confused:

The thread I mentioned is here
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118969

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Might be a bit hard on the brakes, though. I'm pretty sure mounting the wheel speed sensors would be pretty easy.
-John

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard on brakes - Thats what I first thought too but from what he says, its probably a small price to pay when you consider the stresses a full locker puts on front end, driveline, and steering parts. Brake pads are cheap.

I cant help but think it would work great. As one wheel is braked, the torque is routed to the far side. As soon as the wheel spin is reduced to a predetermined level, the brake is released and the cycle is repeated 10's or 100's of times per second. Well thats what I'm guessing anyway.

·
For Kayla
25,333 Posts
I believe toyota has a similar system called Active TRAC which is basically active traction control. I'm going to look more into and see exactly how it works, but it's supposed to be very similar to what you're describing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Flat50 said:
As soon as the wheel spin is reduced to a predetermined level, the brake is released and the cycle is repeated 10's or 100's of times per second. Well thats what I'm guessing anyway.
So, you're limited to a certain amount of wheelspin? The faster you spin your tires, the harder it applies the brakes? Doesn't sound too promising.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
spencurai said:
sounds like a complete pain in the ass for something that is only marginally better than an LSD and completely inferior to a true locking differential...what a waste of time.
Yup AGREED:D as my SouthPark friends say "that's pretty fuckin gay dude":rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Something else I though of is that the power going to the spinning wheel will be eaten up in the brakes. Wouldn't work with a open diff, but with the limited slip in good shape, it would make the l/s unit aplly, so you wouldn't lose to much torque. Still not as good as a true locker, but it would be easier and cheaper, mabey. The only thing I could as being difficult to do is the air over hydralic booster units, but you could probably fab something.
-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts