Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey wats up ppl,
i picked up my truck just a lil while ago (83 pick up) and they guy told me he had the alternator and voltage regulator changed.
so the problem is my battery keeps dying, it wont keep the charge while in the truck. and when ur driving if ya look at the volt guage and turn on like the wipers or signal the guage flickers. so i have had the alternator tested and it was ok that battery is good. and i did a charging test on it to with one of those interstate battery testing things and it said there was noi charge.
so is there any way i can test my regulator and anything else to c if theres something else wrong. cause its gettin really annoying the batter will only last about 4 or 5 days then i have to charge it agin :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
sounds like the guy replaced with the wrong alt. or V.R. Does the guy still have the old one? I'm pretty sure there are a couple of different alternators and regulators with a big difference in amperage for 20r and 22r motors.
Also, unless you have a deep-cycle battery, you're going to kill that one if you keep draining it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You should have 14-14.2V with the engine running if the VR is OK.
Use a real DVM, not the dash gauge.
If the voltage drops when lights, etc. are on, could be bad alt, bad batt, or since they supposedly are OK could be bad connections between batt and alt or batt and ground. Start looking for corroded/loose connections.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welll i took the alt. out and got it tested thats how i know its ok.
i believe i do have the old regulator and i was goin to throw it back in to c it it makes a diff. and ya the volts drop on the guage when i turn the lights,wipers or signals on.. and i think i remember checkin the alt. and it was the right one but il double check the regulator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts