Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oportunity to buy some Volvo portal axles...they are like the unimogs, but these are only the 1 ton version. I guess they are equivelant to dana 60's? So, should I do it, or go with the 404 unimogs wich are twice the strength and twice the weight?
Who knows about this stuff?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ryan

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
I've seen the Team Purple rig running the Volvo Portals and they seem to work very well. He's more of a rock racing type and that's some hard stress put on them...as far as I know, they've held up well.
The guy's name is Ron Schneider from OffRoad General Store and he goes by the tag TEAMPURPLE...you outta look him up and find out his view.

·
Registered
730 Posts
rfrey said:
I have an oportunity to buy some Volvo portal axles...they are like the unimogs, but these are only the 1 ton version. I guess they are equivelant to dana 60's? So, should I do it, or go with the 404 unimogs wich are twice the strength and twice the weight?
Who knows about this stuff?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ryan
Biggest consideration is the weight of the vehicle they are going under, and space requirements. Weight because MOG are said to be sronger and use larger components. The volvos will be easier to place under a rig because the pinion is shorter and orginally mounted to leaf springs SU, also won't require a pinon conversion. MOGs are difficult to deal with the offset of the diffs and the length of the pinons. You can go with hybrid, but that a whole nother ballgame.

As far as MOG being twice as strong and twice as heavy, I doubt the MOGs are twice as heavy. Twice as strong... I don't know I need to get my MOGs under a rig for testing. I do know the major difference in MOGs and Volvo protals is the joints. MOGs use a double cardian type joint, where the Volvos use a birfield type jount. Because of this the MOGs will have a better turing radius and stronger joints. Not as big a consideration because they are both before the reduction portals and torque will be less.

Thats the info I know. Gathered thorugh much webwheelin' research here and other sites. Do some checking around and make an informed decision.

BTW I will be running MOG axles under my tube chassis toyota when finished... Just waiting on delivery of my axles.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RedBullJeep, I saw him too. He did well at CRCA...first place. That is what got me started looking into this venture. I spoke with a guy from extremeaxle.com who sold Ron the axles for his cost. Ron has since put on disk brakes in front...the rest is stock...that is impressive. His rig is going to be lighter than mine, and I was hoping to run 38.5 SX's and he is running 37's...he said his SX's made him too big. Anyway, the guy at extremeaxle loves the volvo's, one guy in canada hates the 404's because they are too small, and another guy in canada who is willing to custom make me some 404's will really dial them in, but for twice the $$$ as this guy wants for his volvos...
....what do I do? Save for $8000 404 axles, or spend the $4000 on volvo's now?

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
from what i have seen i think the volvo portals are the way to go.

how much are the ones you are looking at?

anybody kow the actuall weights of the mog and the volvos?

·
Registered
730 Posts
http://www.exaxt.ca/ lists MOG axles as:

Front axle weight (dry): approx. 240kg (530lbs)

Rear axle weight (dry): approx. 220kg (485lbs)

I don't know the weight of the Volvos

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have seen 4 mog portal units break. The outer gear case broke each time. I have heard there are a couple different versions. I'm sure JR could clarify. Volvo's look like a better option unless you go Hybrid.

·
Registered
730 Posts
KYODER said:
I have seen 4 mog portal units break. The outer gear case broke each time. I have heard there are a couple different versions. I'm sure JR could clarify. Volvo's look like a better option unless you go Hybrid.
This really doesn't make sense, because a hybrid MOG axle is going to use factory MOG portal gear reduction cases. Which are the weaklink by your comments.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Pics coming in a few days of U-1300 mog portals. I do see any freaking way that I am going to break these things even with 53's and BBC(Big Bad Caddy - Brook;)) power.

I just have about 10 more hours of freaking grinding to do on them to remove all of the brackets that cam on them that I won't be using. There were 7 brackets on each axle, each with two peices of 1/4" steel welded on both sides to the axles. So that is 14 welds to grind down on each axle. Takes FOREVER!

Sean

·
Registered
887 Posts
Fjärrås bildemontering only have rear axels at the moment. Too many people want rear steer in sweden:D

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
jbt said:
Fjärrås bildemontering only have rear axels at the moment. Too many people want rear steer in sweden:D
That's the main drawback IMO...AFAIK they went' out of production with the Valp. There are still a lot of unit's lying around, but not too many people are talking...Then there is the whole Swede component that are snatching them up like we do here with 60 fronts.

I dunno'. Looks like a awesome axle, but because it's no longer being produced, I would have to think long and hard about buying a pair.

·
Registered
879 Posts
cruiserrg said:

These axels are very heavy duty almost same as Dana 60-axels but the weight is only 150kg (front), 130kg (rear).

Converted thats:

330 lbs for a front axle
286 lbs for a rear axle

Hmmm... not quite half the weight but close.
I must add some weight to those cause I have two fronts and one rear axle at our backyard and I have weigthed them so front axle is 170kg and rear is 155kg

Mog 411 "banjo" type (not cast iron) is about 240kg wiht drum brakes.

We managed to buy these axles from Fjärås but it was hard. We even had to use my mother to get them :flipoff2:

Here is pic of Volvo front portal shot few week ago:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.