Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I replaced the stock vacuume locker set-up with a cable locker. I purchased the locker cables from Extreme Axle. I just gave them the lengths I needed, and they had them made.

To do the installation, the gear reduction boxes and diff needed to be removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Notice the size of the axle shaft. Here I held a size D battery next to it to give you an idea. The axle is not real big, but remember, it only carrys half the load!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here the center diff has been removed, The markings on the ring were 31x9. I am not exactly sure what gears I have, but I would speculate they are the 7.14's....Oh, nine teeth on the pinion, and 31 teeth on the ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now, the way the locker works is quite simple. There is a set of teeth on the diff, and another connected to (now the cable) which simply activates, or deactivates the lockers. Here is a picture of the locker teeth on the diff.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next is the picture of the locker teeth on the housing side. The axle shaft slides in right where you think does. That funny wish bone thing is how complex this thing is. It pivots in the center there, and the cable connects to the top. You can see where the cable sticks out of the diff. Here the question is how to connect the cable to the center diff. I simply used the nut that held the vacuume locker on, and welded a jam nut to it from the cable I received from Extreme Axle. Pretty simple.

The process took me just over 3 hours, but I have not installed the shifters yet. Oh, the shifters I have are the new OX locker shifters with the internal spring. So you simply shift the locker, and the spring applys pressure to the cable until the teeth come together and lock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
very nice. How did u get the new lever? I thought ox wasn't shipping any product and I would realy like to upgrade to the new one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh....Ummm.... I really shouldn't say.

I guess I just asked for them. I am not sure on when they are coming out...but I do know a few people that have the new ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts