Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running them?

Anyone want to sell me a set?

Anyone ever seen a set in the US?

Doubt it but I have to ask.

Ron

Misc pieces of british crap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,403 Posts
What are Volvo Portals? Neva heard of them...Are they like a Lithium Crystal or flux capacitor. <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
40,287 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are portal axles from a C 303 Volvo forward control truck. Often referred to as a laplander. Do some sniffing and you will see the advantages (for one they are made by a subsidiary of dana and would be compatible with D60 stuff). The rear dif location is weird but what I need for my application.

No I am not kidding.

I need a set for one of my peices of british crap.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,719 Posts
Originally posted by evilfij:
<STRONG>They are portal axles from a C 303 Volvo forward control truck. Often referred to as a laplander. Do some sniffing and you will see the advantages (for one they are made by a subsidiary of dana and would be compatible with D60 stuff). The rear dif location is weird but what I need for my application.

No I am not kidding.

I need a set for one of my peices of british crap.

Ron</STRONG>
A newbie that knows how to post! Welcome <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
Get a picture of a some and post them. Some people are using Mog portal axles but havent heard about the Volvo ones. They sound sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts

Is this them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by ncwheeler:
<STRONG>http://www.xtremeaxle.com <IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Now that is cool:




Looks like the U-joint is before the reduction, and it looks like you could make a flange to bolt those knuckles to any axle. Any idea how rare and/or expensive these thigs are?

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Grandpa_Jeep ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,382 Posts
i am pretty sure that i need aset of those. i might be willing to swap some rockwells and some cash,please
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
There's a discussion going on about those things on the SRC site, under the 1 ton forum, something like "bet you can't name this axle".

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
//home.swipnet.se/~w-128002/matsprototyp.htm

Something like this.

Now you all non rover people don't want them as the rear axle has the dif offset the one above has two fronts I think

Makes everything else look like crap. ie you think you are hard core and you see something like that

There are a bunch in malaysia I am trying to buy as well as a bunch in Sweden and Norway. However, no one will sell me them without the rest of the truck and most of the trucks are <25 years old so no way to import. Going rate for a complete truck is 5k or so in Sweden. A junker they rust like crazy is about half that.

They would look great under my POS Range Rover.

Saw a 1963ish 109 on them with 35in Simex and it was styling.

Ron

Misc pieces of british crap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by Old Scout:
<STRONG>KILL that monster PIC!

</STRONG>
Sorry Old Scout, fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Originally posted by Grandpa_Jeep:
<STRONG>Looks like the U-joint is before the reduction, and it looks like you could make a flange to bolt those knuckles to any axle.</STRONG>
You should be bale to bolt the knuckles to any axle if you made an appropriate flange but from what I've read these axle have like 2.73s in the diff....all the redcution is at the hubs. I think it would be sweet for soemone to take a D60 and put these on there. Lots of work but it would kick ass <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting reading on the SRC board. Finally figured out what SRC stood for.

We kinda went over this on the D90 list about 6-8months ago. What is the market price for a set of C303 axles? I have enough leads in sweden to maybe have my importer make a dedicated trip.

For more pics did up the land rover mags covering the malaysian challenge a couple years ago. There is a nice pic of the 109 upside down showing the drive train which was all early 60s stock rover, save the axles.

The axles litterally bolted right up. The flange on the pinion looks to be a rover driveshaft bolt pattern as well.

This is why I want them. The mog axles are probably a much better idea for non rover types or some similar application, but these will make my british crap happy.

As far as modding them I am pretty sure they were made by salisbury which is owned by dana. Earlier laplanders had D44 clones, not D60 clones and I was told the interals in the 303 dif of the were compatible with D60 parts but have not confirmed.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Originally posted by BabyWrangle:
<STRONG>You should be bale to bolt the knuckles to any axle if you made an appropriate flange but from what I've read these axle have like 2.73s in the diff....all the redcution is at the hubs. I think it would be sweet for soemone to take a D60 and put these on there. Lots of work but it would kick ass <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
I wouldn't think you would need a D60. Most of the reduction is in the knuckles, get yourself a D30, truss it and go. Not to mention, you would have even better clearance.

Originally posted by evilfij:
<STRONG>Interesting reading on the SRC board. Finally figured out what SRC stood for.</STRONG>
Where is the SRC board, and what does SRC stand for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
Originally posted by BabyWrangle:
<STRONG>...from what I've read these axle have like 2.73s in the diff....all the redcution is at the hubs. I think it would be sweet for soemone to take a D60 and put these on there. <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Dana 60s were available with 3.08s. They came in the early Dodge Cummins trucks with the 727 trans.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Originally posted by Grandpa_Jeep:
<STRONG>Now that is cool:




Looks like the U-joint is before the reduction, and it looks like you could make a flange to bolt those knuckles to any axle. Any idea how rare and/or expensive these thigs are?

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Grandpa_Jeep ]</STRONG>
That company is selling them for 7900 front and rear. <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> Supposed to be equal to a 6.17 gear. Be nice to be able to just get from the flange out.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top