Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i think i'm finally getting close to wraping this thing up. I do have one question. I am putting a 99 vortec 305 into my CJ, the question is i know i need a 96 or 97 computer to eliminate vats, but do i need to have the dealer reprogram it? Two bone yards say i do, a dealer says he didn't think so. Whats your opinion?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my point wasn't clear :)

I know i need to go with the 1997 computer.

I also know that it can stay stock program and function properly, per the sales man at Howell.

The question is will the dealer need to flash it or anything because it is in a different vehicle. I dont' think so, it should not matter what it is in.

Another question too is will any 97 or 96 computer work whether it is from a 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7? Or do i need one specifically for a 305, 5.0l?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
specific with the size engine you will use. also make sure it has the same tranny that you are going to use (if you're swapping a 4l69e or a 4l80e). my buddy just got done finding this out the hard way with his fj55.
reeser

·
Registered
461 Posts
I really need to figure this out.......

I'm putting a 99 5.7 in and was told that you couldn't use the 96-97 computer with the 98-99 wiring harness. Is this not true? I been lead to believe that you needed to rewire part of the newer harness inorder for it to work with the older computer. I'm planning to send my 99 computer to Fast Chip and have them remove the VATS and the Fuel Tank Pressure stuff. I would rather have a stock computer with no custom programming that cost $$'s

Thanks for any info...
Mike

See this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112363

Quoted from High5

the wiring nor the computers are the same between the years. i had to move wires in the vcm connector to account for the differences in the years. after talking to tom at sunray i would have just stuck with the 99 computer and done the things that they do to defeat the VATS and the fuel tank pressure. it would be cheaper than buying a new computer like i did or alot cheaper than having a computer reprogramed. i do not remember what exactly he said they did but i am sure you can contact them for the details. if you do post them here for all to see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts