Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting this combo in my jeep, everything is going good except when i snug the tranny up to the block it for some reason binds up and my flexplate will no longer turn. But if i back out the bolts maybe 1/16" it turns freely(along with the TC). Did the Vortec motors have some sort of spacer between the engine and tranny?

Would it be ok to solve this problem with some sort of sheet metal "gasket" between the two to shim it out alittle bit?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
make sure you have the torque convertor locked in. if you look on the end of the t/c, you will see what two prongs sticking out, kinda like a fork, these have to lock in to two groves in the pump. Put the t/c on, spin in and push in at the same time. Sometimes it takes a bit, tight clearances. That is why your having some binding bolting it up. Your tranny will be junk in no time if you bolt it up like that.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
We just had a similar problem with a friends install. He had a 2000 'burb (with a 350) that he blew the tranny in. His 'donor' tranny was from a 2000 pickup (with the 305). The guide pin (big knob on the bottom that centers on the hole in the crank) on the donor tranny TC was too long for his 350. It was also going from a non-lockup to a lockup TC and tranny if that makes a difference.

Check the clearance there, and look really close to see if that is the spot that is bottoming out. I'd bet $$ it is.

EDIT: And as said before, make sure you are all the way on the pump. Pull the TC out an 1/8th, turn a degree or 2, andpush back in. Eventually you will feel it go all the way in. If you have done that, see the above post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts