Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new vortec 350 in my 96 Chevy and the truck starts and runs but when trying to dial in the timing I’m having some issues. I tried the standard procedure of installing the destributor and leaving it just loose enough to where you can move it by hand for adjustment. Then I raised the rpm to about 1500 and used a scan tool to attempt to set the timing to the recommended range. As far as I know I did everything right but when using the scan tool (I tried 2 different ones) the degree of tkming changes every one to two seconds while the destributor isn’t moving and the rpm is consistent. Any ideas what might cause inconsistent timing? Just FYI it’s not the distributor being loose I even tried tightening it all the way and no difference. Maybe ecu problem? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What scan tools are you using? Me and a friend of mine couldn’t get his timing dialed in when we did his head gaskets. We were trying to use the torque app. We both had worked at a dealer though so when we had it close enough it would run ok we gave up and he took it up and got them to let him use the tech 2. He said with that it was a piece of cake with the tech 2. I think the scan tool needs to have a feature for setting those. It tells the computer to lock the timing advance so you can adjust it or something.

Post back here if you figure it out because I just bought my old 96 back and the guy put in a distributor and wasn’t able to set it right there so I need to fix it sooner or later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
blatant asshole
12,530 Posts
96/vortecs are odb2 correct?

They dont have that dumbass wire you need to disconnect like the tbi/odb1 motor do they?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What scan tools are you using? Me and a friend of mine couldn’t get his timing dialed in when we did his head gaskets. We were trying to use the torque app. We both had worked at a dealer though so when we had it close enough it would run ok we gave up and he took it up and got them to let him use the tech 2. He said with that it was a piece of cake with the tech 2. I think the scan tool needs to have a feature for setting those. It tells the computer to lock the timing advance so you can adjust it or something.

Post back here if you figure it out because I just bought my old 96 back and the guy put in a distributor and wasn’t able to set it right there so I need to fix it sooner or later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I forget the brand name because I returned the scanners when it didn’t work for me lol but since it does run I will probably just take it to a shop and let them figure it out. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1984 k5 blazer
2 Posts
Not sure if this helps, I put a 96 vortec in my k5 but I converted to carb. Check your tdc without using timing marks on the timing cover. Mine seems to be happy at 15 degrees before tdc.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Gotta have a big dollar scanner to set the timing on a Vortec, low buck ones won't do it.
Alternately, fiddle away with the distributor, erasing the code, fiddling till you no longer get the code meaning you are within 2% of perfect.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh, and setting the timing on a Vortec is actually synchronizing the cam position sensor with the crank position sensor.
Where TDC is has nothing to do with it, the ECM controls the timing based on sensor inputs such as the knock sensor.
You can't statically synchronize the cam position sensor to the crank position sensor, I have tried several times....it winds up off about 10 degrees from set properly with a scanner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts