Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
imo - not worth the weight. Why not run a cummins or powerstroke if you're going to have that heavy of a motor. You could have 600hp and 1000 ft lbs out of either of those...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd do it in a heart beat, I love that engine and tranny combo, and they are cheaper and way lighter than the diesels. Not to mention, for the price of the diesel you could easily slap a whipple or other forced induction system on it and have a really sweet engine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
What do you mean by "buggy" ? One seat, 9's, Atlas, 37's, and whizbang super light gear? Or the opposite end: 4/5 Seats, all kinds of tube, Rocks, 205w/doubler, 44's, etc... ?

The sweet spot could be anywhere between a 1600cc VW mill and a blown big block. The buggy your building will dictate whether or not you need that much engine.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My dad has an hd 2500 with that enging and the allison. It is a sweet motor. smooth quiet, tows like mad. Pass anything but a gas station. I think it would be good for a large buggy if it will fit. Bigblocks aren't that heavy, not compared to a diesel, but the problem is the mileage. if that is a concern I wouldn't do it. My dad's only gets about 10 unloaded and 8 with a 15K lb. trailer.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
there's a pretty big difference in wieght between that engine and a cummins. My fully dressed cummins weighed 1100 lbs. That's just the engine. To have a tranny built to handle the numbers you are talking about you'll add another 300 lbs easily. Also the cummins is very tall and would require a tall buggy for it to fit properly.

-ben

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mog 416 axles lengthend to 81" WMS, 96" track width, 120"wheel base, stak 3 speed tcase. t400 tranny, and 49" Iroks

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
that engine would be perfect for your project, plus there are some cool things you can do to that engine. check out raylar they have heads and intake to help make it peal out.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
well - everyone else is behind it, and I've never driven a truck with that motor, so? I know the diesels are heavier, but that was my point - for the power that can be had out of one, it would be worth an extra 2-300 lbs of motor. Fitment, etc. is another story i guess. FWIW the power numbers you pusted can easily be had out of a SB and weigh in ALOT less. Also depends on your budget, but i'm sure you could find a salvage yard LS1 with some miles for the same $ that the 496 would cost. Need more info about your situation - do you have someone who is willing to donate the thing for free??

·
Registered
248 Posts
It took some time to get my 8.1 running well. I almost ditched the whole idea from frustration. I am glad as hell that I stuck with it because the power in this is awesome. If you need any info or would like me to send you some pics, let me know.

·
Registered
671 Posts
yea but a sb isnt going to have 400#' at 1000 rpms and still make any power up high, unless your talking a really tight stroker. my friends 383 had 400#' at 2000 rpms, but that aint 1000 RPMs.

the allisson is heavy as hell that comes behind it, but wouldnt that be sweet as hell.

i was thinkin whipple or paxton one made a supercharger kit that damn near doubles the hp on that motor.

be different go for it

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think the 8.1 is a great engine, but I'm pretty sure you could get more performance for less money by building up a tried and true 454, and for space and weight savings the GM crate HT383 pretty much matches the hp/tq numbers you gave. I've always thought the base 383 w/ a bit more cam and EFI (or propane) would be a sweet jeep/truck/buggy engine.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was hoping by going with a newer vortec is wouldnt be hard at all to get it running right... :-( Any advice you can offer would be appreicated...

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
The marine 496s have pretty much identical parts yet have a lot more impressive numbers due to a lack of emissions. As long as you can find a later 496 I'd say go for it. Preferably one that you know didn't have an oil consumption problem.

If you're at the right plate and the right time sometimes you can pick one up, throw a 3.3L Whipple on it, all for the price of a crate LS1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts