Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vortec Motors from AA?

Just curious to know.....

Are these engines listed on AA site the same as the Ram Jet stand alone ECU system from Chevy or something AA rigged up from Chevy.
Are they offered elsewhere besides AA ?

From AAs website..http://www.advanceadapters.com/newidea.html

"We are now proud to offer a turn-key Vortec motor for your conversion. This is a brand new motor with a stand-alone computer and wiring harness. Motor installs easily with the connection of six simple wires. Introductory pricing is as follows"

bennett

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Well, my disclaimer is that I have only swapped two engines...one a TBI 350, and the other a Vortec 350. The Vortec I paid $1000 for with wire harness, computer, headers, cruise control... Then I have spent another $950 on an aftermarket wire harness, and have had to buy this and that to make it work. It also comes with a connection/junction box...yea...I had to screw each wire into it's location...I can only see it all falling apart on a rough trail.
The TBI I bought for about the same price. I paid $350 for the harness from painless (painless didn't have one for the Vortec yet)...anyway sure I had to make a couple wires longer, and a couple shorter, but it was very straight forward.

For the money...TBI is the way to go. I would say $1000 less at least, and much fewer head aches... But that is just my $0.02

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
GM has offered crate Vortec motors to dealers (not the general public) since 1996. BTB built several FJ40s with these Vortecs, and I know you can still buy just the motor from BTB. These are not the Ram Jet engines that GM sells to the public. You can get a low mileage equivalent from a salvage yard for half the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts