Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 350s one tbi and one vortec same year trucks? Wanting to swap tbi for the vortec Can I take just the manifold and heads and swap them out and be good or do I also need the cams and CPU what else do I need to swap/add?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Are you looking to make one a Vortec motor out of the two?? If that's the case, swap entire motor, ECM, fuel pump and drivers exhaust manifold (for EGR plumbing if you need EGR).
TBI to Vortec. You'd want the roller cam the Vortec block offers, heads (obviously), intake, upgrade fuel pump in tank. And of course, wiring harness/ECM. There's probably more....it'll come to me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Does your TBI have a crank position sensor at the bottom of the timing cover?
Cuz the vortecs do.

As said, the entire wiring harness and EMC is different too.
So you have to use the vortec harness.
Vortec EMC also has VAT (vehicle anti theft) so you would need to delete that or change steering columns, dash wiring etc.

The vortec also had an electronically controlled auto trans. Does the TBI?

Having taken a 95 K2500 that came with the turbo diesel and nv4500 and converting to a 96-97 vortec with the nv4500, it is a project!
Basically ended up taking a 96 wiring, cab and engine harness and stripping all the auto trans/electronic T/C, A/C and other unneeded wiring out, along with other stuff I didn't want and reflashing the ECM.

·
Registered
72 k10, bbc edelbrock e street efi, Ford axles
15 Posts
Does your TBI have a crank position sensor at the bottom of the timing cover?
Cuz the vortecs do.

As said, the entire wiring harness and EMC is different too.
So you have to use the vortec harness.
Vortec EMC also has VAT (vehicle anti theft) so you would need to delete that or change steering columns, dash wiring etc.

The vortec also had an electronically controlled auto trans. Does the TBI?

Having taken a 95 K2500 that came with the turbo diesel and nv4500 and converting to a 96-97 vortec with the nv4500, it is a project!
Basically ended up taking a 96 wiring, cab and engine harness and stripping all the auto trans/electronic T/C, A/C and other unneeded wiring out, along with other stuff I didn't want and reflashing the ECM.

·
Registered
72 k10, bbc edelbrock e street efi, Ford axles
15 Posts
If possible don’t use the 95 and older 5.7 tbi motors. Go with 96 and newer. Way worth the same effort and more power. Just what I’ve experienced. Better heads, roller cam and better computer plus easier to look up trouble codes with obd II diagnostic system

·
Registered
68 Posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you have a factory TBI truck and want to convert it to Vortec? What is the reason you want to swap all the parts around on the engine blocks versus just swapping in the complete Vortec engine?

I know several people who have installed a Vortec long-block into an older TBI truck retaining the TBI system and they run good. It was pretty easy to do and just required a Vortec to TBI intake manifold or adapter, and believe blocking off the EGR. Putting a complete Vortec engine, or Vortec injection system, in an TBI truck requires a lot of work on the wiring harness, computer, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
If possible don’t use the 95 and older 5.7 tbi motors. Go with 96 and newer. Way worth the same effort and more power. Just what I’ve experienced. Better heads, roller cam and better computer plus easier to look up trouble codes with obd II diagnostic system

95 and down TBI.....96 and up Vortec. Some mexican produced trucks were TBI with Vortec roller blocks/cam/heads with Vortec/TBI intake.....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Guys, the OP (total of 1 post after joining) asked questions, never replied to anyone and probably hasn't been back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts