Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a Vortec 6.0L into a 1971 Land Cruiser. I want the VSS but I'm running an NV4500.

Is there a solution for running the VSS aside from Downey?

I called Jags that run as was recommended in every other thread dealing with a VSS. I was told I was hosed because of the NV4500:shaking: They pointed me to Downey.

I saw Downey's version and it is VERY nice. However, there are a few reasons I do not wish to run Downey's.

I also saw a "pinion flange" mounted one. However, I don't feel this is such a good idea in an offroaded rig and one that will see snow as well.

Are there any cable driven solutions? Doesn't really HAVE to thread toyota as I can get a short cable made.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I don't know much about your setup but if you have a speedo cable that is driven 1:1 with the driveshaft then you should be able to use one of the VSS on their page. Painless makes a few also. VSS is a good thing so glad you're trying to keep it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
What benefits are you wanting to keep? The cruise mode? the not dying when you let off the gas mode :D. Those are really the only one's I've heard of. But like already stated you should just be able to hook it to the t-case and the nv4500 really shouldn't be a factor.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tcase is going to be an old FJ40 tcase for now and more than likely "upgraded" to the Orion later this year.

Bo, I'll give them another call but I thought I had covered having a transfercase:shaking:

On what I gain from keeping the VSS, there is the idle issue and then there is the being able to tune it for better highway efficiency ;)

This rig is a daily drive rig... not a trailer it and thrash it rig:laughing: In fact, it is so hard core, it has 31" tires:flipoff2::laughing:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Dont run the VSS, get it tuned of of the computer..
Then there's Calif SMOG to deal with. The VSS is often used (is used with my '94 ECM) to enable EGR, and the Smoggies check mine each time I'm tested.
Also, not sure what years are exempt from Calif SMOG testing, but installing a "Vortec" (post '95? engine), may not make your Calif SMOG Ref "happy" at inspection time, with NV4500 behind it.
I'm curious if you have talked to the testing people with regard to the acceptability of your planned install.
With regards to VSS, what pulse rate does your ECM need for a manual trans? That drives the complexity of the sensor.
My '94, with the NV4500 and correct ECM uses 2-pulses per mile, while the auto trans version for '94 requires a 40-pulse per mile version.
The 2-pulse is easy; just need an in-line speedo cable unit. The 40 pulse needs a reluctor ring set up.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm doing a Vortec 6.0L into a 1971 Land Cruiser. I want the VSS but I'm running an NV4500.
Then there's Calif SMOG to deal with.
The highlighted item kinda makes the smog issue moot... CA smog only is applicable to 76 and newer vehicles. But very true on the smog issue otherwise. I dealt with them 10 years ago on a TBI swap with no issues. VERY easy to do a CA smog legal swap if you aren't trying to fawk around:shaking:

So, while I could theoretically get rid of the vss and be golden from a legal standpoint, I do want to keep it for the reasons stated. Also, the 6.0 was available with a manual... just VERY hard to find according to the junkyards here ;)

As for BTB, I'll just put it nicely that I've had poor dealings with them in the past(screwed twice for a couple hundred dollars total). In short, I'd put Jeep parts on my Cruiser before I bought anything of theirs.

But in reading a post about a guy who's done something similar to mine, the 30 pulse VSS would need a signal converter to function correctly.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
But in reading a post about a guy who's done something similar to mine, the 30 pulse VSS would need a signal converter to function correctly.
It needs to be 40 pulse. A Vss will also help with fuel mileage.

·
Registered
488 Posts
what would happen if you just installed a pulse gererator so that you can trick your computer into thinking that your moving?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
junkyards here ;)

Again, if you're running a manual trans, chances are you only need 2-pulses/mile VSS. If yes (you need to find out what the inputs to your ECM/PCM are, for the application you're trying to use), you don't need a 40 pulse, nor do you need a converter to drop the 40 pulse down to what the ECM needs; a simple in-line 2 or 4 pulse generator fed directly to the ECM may be all you need.
Trucks with the 40 pulse generators typically have ABS, electronic speedos, and cruise control, which typically all need the higher pulses. The converter drops the 40 pulse signal to a number of lower signals, including 2 and/or 4-pulse (depends on what the ECM needs) routed to the ECM for engine management.
If your ECM also needs a different pulse input for tranny control (autos), and you don't supply it, it will probably only results in a check engine light.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Do the stock 4l60 and 80 use a relutor ring setup inside the tranny?
Yes on 2x4 in 4x4 its in the transfer case. The later 4l70 has a internal VSS just used for converter speed.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
check over on the Mud board under the hardcore section,Georg just did a write up on one going on an Orion i believe

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts