Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I shopped around for a wire harness for my 5.7L Vortec...not many around. Matter of fact, I only found one guy, Scott at the Detail Zone. The guy specializes in hot rods and other nice cars. The harness he builds would be great for that purpose, but for off-roading...not so good.

First of all you, you have to route every plug, every wire. It does not arrive at your door step in split loom...ready to be put on. So, each plug has the plug and about 12-16 feet of wire (long enough to allow a guy to wire the computer into the trunk of his car)... Plugging the connections in and routing the wire was kind of fun. I got to put all the split loom on, and basicly manufacture what my harness looks like, and make it as clean of an install as I wanted.

Now that all the wires are routed to the location the real work starts! You have to cut every wire to length, then crimp on a fitting and screw it to a board that will then route your wire to the computer. Oh, I think there are over 100 wires!!!!

Well the board you wire it to is not water proof...at all. It is not dust proof, and with all the bouncing we do...would be prone to have wires come loose!

After my motor did not start, and after buying a ton of extra's to make this wire harness work I found out that Howell makes the wire harness that we are after...just plug in the connections, and plug in the computer! So, Scott took my cut-up harness back! And I ordered one from Howell 810-765-5100 (oh, the Howell one is $150 cheaper too!).

Here are a couple pics to give you an idea....remember these pictures do not do it justice...it is actually WAY worse than this.

Once again I WOULD buy this harness for my hot rod. I think it is a cool idea, and I am happy somebody offers it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more picture...sorry they are fuzzy. This camara was cool for the first year or so...

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Did you happen to check with : Painless wiring, TPI Tech, TPI Specialties? I bought a TPI Tech harness for my tuned port swap, and it came in great.
Good luck.
Phil

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Painless was the first I check out, and called them again...they will not have one until June!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dude you got a lot more patience than me. I would have given up after the first 3 seconds. Glad you got it runnin'.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave up!

The wiring was a waste of time...but was a lot of fun. So, it didn't bother me much. However I could see future problems with this set-up, so I decided to ask if I could return it. He took it back!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Dude! Your making me feel so good that I got the stock wiring with my Vortec. I haven't done the wiring yet but I know what needs to be connected to where and it's only like 10 splices.

Mike

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
buy a stock wiring harness from a junkyard and cut it yourself. you can find them on the net with a search engine like yahoo. my friend just got done doing all of this.
reeser

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have the stock harness...all the wires are there. I even have the stock fuse block.

Please tell me how to do this. I am very interested. It could save me the $550 I just spent on my last harness.

Is anybody willing to help me?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Andy!

I guess your brother couldn't make it to our party yesterday? It was fun. Super great weather, and some good friends...made for a perfect afternoon. Too bad he couldn't make it.

Later,

Ryan

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
rfrey said:
Well, I have the stock harness...all the wires are there. I even have the stock fuse block.

Please tell me how to do this. I am very interested. It could save me the $550 I just spent on my last harness.

Is anybody willing to help me?
pm crash and see if he can help you out.the guy is a wiring wizard. might be able to send it to him and he could leave you with what you need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts