Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know of a way to run an axle without a VSS setup on a vehicle that currently has VSS and NEEDS it so that my auto tranny can shift at the right points? thanks in advance

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ummm... install a VSS on your axle?
Just about any rear end can be made to take a VSS with some work. What axle are you running?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now i'm running the super beefy ford 7.5"..... my friend has offered me a FFd60 rear for $75.....
i wanna run it, but my tranny shifts like crap with the vss unplugged...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
One way to get the VSS back without installing into a rear, shich there have been a couple post about doing. I believe that someone did a 9" and some else did a D60. Is to either swap in a rear with VSS, 8.8, 10.25, 10.5, maybe a D60(61)/70 from a van. Or maybe you can use a VSS that goes in the t-case? Not sure on the second option, never tried it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah... its just a mere template for the rig i want it to be... i'm running very small axles and powertrain right now... still got 3 years of payments on this POS.:eek: i want a 4.6L, ZF, atlasII and at least d44s front and rear.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
emsoffroad said:
One way to get the VSS back without installing into a rear, shich there have been a couple post about doing. I believe that someone did a 9" and some else did a D60. Is to either swap in a rear with VSS, 8.8, 10.25, 10.5, maybe a D60(61)/70 from a van. Or maybe you can use a VSS that goes in the t-case? Not sure on the second option, never tried it.
i know of the other ford vss axles... but as i understand it, the 10.25 and 10.50 aren't worth a damn... an 8.8 is barely an upgrade, and the disc-braked dana 70 can be found in the newer E-350s...
i would like to try the VSS conversion on the 9" though... pound for pound the 9" is one of the BEST, STRONGEST and EASIEST to maintain axles ever put out.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The 8.8 is very close in strenght to the 9" and stronger than the d44 rears.. if your running a d30 front I think a 31 spline 8.8 would be a good match, as long as you beef up that 30 a little. I am running a 9" but no VSS and the only reason I got rid of the 8.8 was the 9" with 4.88s was cheaper than regearing my 8.8.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
s2pid whitey said:
yeah... its just a mere template for the rig i want it to be... i'm running very small axles and powertrain right now... still got 3 years of payments on this POS.:eek: i want a 4.6L, ZF, atlasII and at least d44s front and rear.

REd X.. come on dude.. ill show you mine if you show me yours ;)

I hear you on the ZF and Atlas II.. im happy with the 4.0, for now anyways. What I really need right now is armor and lockers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
red x? its working over here.... try this instead....HERE

you must have a 5spd tranny right? otherwise i wanna know how you are running with no VSS... i tried it for a day... not by choice, but bc my vss took a crap and my tranny shifted hard and at random...
ideally, i would LOVE to get the axle out of a mid 90s model F-350....we'll see if that happens:rolleyes:

·
Registered
162 Posts
A friend of mine installed a VSS onto his FF Dana 60 'cuz he swapped in a '96 351W and it had OBD-II EFI. In your case since you have OBD-II I don't think a t-case mounted VSS will work because the signals are different. If you can get the rear end set up with the exciter ring, it shouldn't be to hard to mod the housing for the sensor. My friend just WB welded it in place once he got the right clearance. Why do you say the 10.25/10.5 isn't worth it? Some of them like to eat pinion bearings, but overall it is one beefy axle.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Pavelow - Everyone on ORR told me it was on my transfercase and thats what my Haynes said as well but nope.. swap in my 9" and no more speedo, crack open the 8.8 and viola-- theres the VSS staring me straight in the face.

s2pid whitey -- I have an auto and if shifts fine with no VSS, only thing is my speedo doesnt work but I have a GPS so I dont really care.. Oh and that link requires that you login, which is why its giving a red X. Email me the pic and I can post it for you.. [email protected]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vss came in 93 ranger i believe.... well i have no damn clue why mine shifts perfectly with the vss and real chitty without it, and yours works without it. what tranny you running? 5r55e? i'm running a 4r55e 3spd w overdrive.
i couldn't care less about a speedo... not like the speedo is of any value to me... its already off by nearly 25%... i emailed a few pics btw..

·
Registered
563 Posts
s2pid whitey said:
vss came in 93 ranger i believe.... well i have no damn clue why mine shifts perfectly with the vss and real chitty without it, and yours works without it. what tranny you running? 5r55e? i'm running a 4r55e 3spd w overdrive.
i couldn't care less about a speedo... not like the speedo is of any value to me... its already off by nearly 25%... i emailed a few pics btw..
On my 94 the vss is in the transfer case. the only thing on the rear was the abs. I have the A4LD tranny, not sure if its different with the tranny or not. I could care less about the speedo too, with 4:88's and 35's I don't think it will be to accurate:eek:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good question.. the steering box was laying on the ground at my friend's ranch... its a saginaw (sp?) and we THINK its out of an early 80s f-150... 91 ranger ps pump and ps lines... xj rubber brake lines thread into the ranger hardlines and the yj calipers... the draglink is .250" wall DOM with the commonly frowned upon "z" bend to clear the passenger leaf spring during right turns. i'll do crossover and hi-steer when i get a real axle up front. any other questions? i really need to get some new pics... the bed has been gone for 3 weeks now in favor of a low profile flatbed and tire carrier.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I used a 78 Scout II box and crown vic pump.. I also need hi-steer.. experiencing some bumpsteer right now but not much... what shocks are you running up front? I am using bilstein 5100s but im contemplating upgrading, not sure if its worth the money though...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rerard said:
I used a 78 Scout II box and crown vic pump.. I also need hi-steer.. experiencing some bumpsteer right now but not much... what shocks are you running up front? I am using bilstein 5100s but im contemplating upgrading, not sure if its worth the money though...
now i have Blow Comp ES3000s with the 12" piston... got em centered to 6" up and 6" down... eventually i would like to try the DUFF 15" shocks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts