Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that have hooked up TBI to your motors,

If I have the chip programed to not use a VSS, will that effect anything?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
406 Posts
No..

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yes, it will affect some things but they aren't really important. Things like torque converter lock-up and "Hiway mode" are dependent upon the VSS, but if it's got a std. tranny, who cares and if it's a wheelin' rig, who cares about Hiway mode.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well right now I do drive it on the hwy, and it does have a standard tranny..

Thanks for the input..

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hiway mode is just a mode that makes slight adjustment to timing and fuel map when it senses the vehicle is at or above a certain speed with a slight load on it (cruising condition). It is ment to maximize fuel economy.... it is not necessary for this function to work in order to drive it on the hiway.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my next question..

Thanks.. SO it shouldnt matter if I have it removed from the chip or not..

·
Registered
753 Posts
YOu can ground out your park/neutral switch... so the computer always thinks your in park so it doesn't look for a VSS signal....

If it looks for one and it doesn't get one then you will get a Check Engine light and a trouble code....

·
Registered
317 Posts
In my experience there is a big performance difference with the VSS. I would use it if possible. If not, just ground the park/nuetral wire and it will run ok, just not to it's full potential. When the ecm see's the VSS input, it opens up more timing and fuel maps. Anyone who thinks it does not make a difference, drive a truck with a VSS working, then unplug it and drive it. You will see a difference. Brett

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can have the trouble code taken out, along with teh check engine light.

I may see what I can do to get one to work on my dana 300

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
Why not just run a stock computer and buy a VSS from Painless (threads into you're transfercase speedo) and call it good? Thats what I did, and my TBI runs perfect.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
ALEX Bronco said:
In my experience there is a big performance difference with the VSS. I would use it if possible. If not, just ground the park/nuetral wire and it will run ok, just not to it's full potential. When the ecm see's the VSS input, it opens up more timing and fuel maps. Anyone who thinks it does not make a difference, drive a truck with a VSS working, then unplug it and drive it. You will see a difference. Brett
May very well be, but since he's talking about having the VSS disabled in the chip, I'll assume that he has access to the equipment to burn new chips for the ECM. If that's the case then he can either run it or not run it and tune the chip to far better performance than the lame stock GM chip.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't assume antything. Lot's of people just flash the prom to dissable the vss, not re progrmmong the fuel and timing maps. the easiest wat is to use a VSS which , as mentioned Painless has that will fit he Dana 300. I have built several Small blocks and 4.3's using stock proms with no performance issues. Brett

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are willing to settle for.:flipoff2: There is quite a bit more performance to be squeezed out of a stock chip.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found a place that will burn the chip, not sure about the fuel map.

From what it sounds like running the VSS is the way togo.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Here's an important question that hasn't been asked yet... which GM computer are you using? Some of them didn't use a VSS from the factory and some did.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Every thing is out of a 88-89 van, the computer is a 1227747

1 - 20 of 32 Posts