Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i have searched every link possible that i could on this board and many others. I'm still confused.

I have a 1985 Jeep CJ7 with a Turbo 350 tranny adapted to a Dana 300 Transfer case. I want to put in a 1999 Vortec 305.
I've got most problems solved, the big one now is this VSS, or Vehicle Speed Sensor. I have no idea how or where to get a signal for it.

Do i need it? Does anyone make some sort of adapter? If so part numbers would rock. Can i get the computer reprogrammed to not need i.

Please let me know what you think and thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've got three rigs running out of my shop running the tbi and no speed-sensor. Mine and another see plenty of road miles with no problems, the other is a trail rig that see some road miles. Had no problems with any of them concerning the speed sensor. Painless and Jtr offer a speed-sensor that screws onto the output of the 300 for the speedo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Check out Dave (pbb member) site on Vortec swaps- I have confirmed his statements on the need for a VSS on late model Vortecs. I used a 3/4 ton 241 on my swap, which has a VSS in it that I hope :crossing fingers: will work, with your setup you will need the JTR adapter or talk to Sunray, they claimed to have a product that is a different solution that does not add 3" to your drivetrain.

Check out Dave's site for lots of good Vortec swap info:
http://home.attbi.com/~rittiman2/Cruiser/index.htm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wahoo...problem solved

Howell EFI sells an device the plugs into the tcase and that sends a signal for the vss. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is actually needed is the reluctor ring setup. Novah now has them as well. The get then from the Jaguar conversion company..

The system that use direct port injection need the VSS signal, but also for the electronic auto trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts