Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i have searched every link possible that i could on this board and many others. I'm still confused.

I have a 1985 Jeep CJ7 with a Turbo 350 tranny adapted to a Dana 300 Transfer case. I want to put in a 1999 Vortec 305.
I've got most problems solved, the big one now is this VSS, or Vehicle Speed Sensor. I have no idea how or where to get a signal for it.

Do i need it? Does anyone make some sort of adapter? If so part numbers would rock. Can i get the computer reprogrammed to not need i.

Please let me know what you think and thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I know Jags that Run (they have a website) make vss adapters for several trannies.

I don't know much about the TPI, but I do know that with the TBI motors you can do without it. It mainly controls TCC lockup, but it is used as a refrence for some other stuff as well...depending on the EPROM. Again, in TBI you can custom tune a chip to eliminate most(all?) of the negative impact of not having one - perhaps this is possible with TPI as well? I would think so.

It's certainly not a super-critical item, like the TPS or anything - so you could swap the motor in without it altogether, and go from there.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
www.jagsthatrun.com

Hooks up inline with the speedo cable. Provides a pulse reading for the computer, critical for autos, not as much for sticks, but recommended to prevent stalling at crawl speeds.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I've been to that site and they have a bunch of different VSS. They are less then helpful when it comes to figuring out which one you need. I sent an email with the info on my setup and I never got a reply and basically my read on their website (unless I really missed something) was we'll sell it to you, but won't help you figure out which one you need...

So anyone want to take a crack at which one would work in the following setup:

92 Vortec 4.3L (CPI) SM465 and D300?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
987 Posts
the VSS you need is a 40 pulse per D/S rotation.... you could likely swap one from a NV241 case into the Dana300 if you have a later 300 with the long tailshaft... they both use the same size sender
( this is assuming you would not have a problem swapping to an Autometer electronic speedo as the 241 VSS has no provision for a speedo cable)... the only one I have ever heard about to have a 40 pulse output and a speedo cable was stock in early 90's Chev caprice cop cars... ( cable drive was for a radar setup)

If you think that JTR guy is weird to deal with you should read his book..... he publishes personal letters and 'rants' about his troubles with the phone company

1 - 6 of 6 Posts