Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I did a quick search but am not sure where to look or even what to enter into the search field to find it.

I installed 1 ton axles under my 91 4runner. The axles are out of a 79 K30 before abs. The stock rear axle in the 4runner was equipped with a vehicle speed sensor so now the abs light is on, I could simply remove the bulb, but i was wondering if it is possible or if anyone has installed the vehicle speed sensor from the toyota third into the 14B so that ABS would work? Is it even possible?

I am not familiar with how the sensor works and was hoping that someone who has more intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the toyota and chevy diffs would be able to speak up.

Thanks guys

Rory

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Hey guys,

I did a quick search but am not sure where to look or even what to enter into the search field to find it.

I installed 1 ton axles under my 91 4runner. The axles are out of a 79 K30 before abs. The stock rear axle in the 4runner was equipped with a vehicle speed sensor so now the abs light is on, I could simply remove the bulb, but i was wondering if it is possible or if anyone has installed the vehicle speed sensor from the toyota third into the 14B so that ABS would work? Is it even possible?

I am not familiar with how the sensor works and was hoping that someone who has more intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the toyota and chevy diffs would be able to speak up.

Thanks guys

Rory
Your not going to get any speed signal setup from the rear diff...

Your going to need to get one off the t-case

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
You swapped in a pair of one tons and you still want ABS:confused::laughing:
ha! thats funny. abs going down a steep hill is no better than having no brakes at all. i hate abs. i rear ended (tapped bumpers) a car a long time ago because the dumb broad slammed on her brakes in the middle of a turn for no reason. i slammed on my brakes and the abs pulsed as my truck rolled right in to her. i didn't even feel the truck trying to stop.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha! thats funny. abs going down a steep hill is no better than having no brakes at all. i hate abs. i rear ended (tapped bumpers) a car a long time ago because the dumb broad slammed on her brakes in the middle of a turn for no reason. i slammed on my brakes and the abs pulsed as my truck rolled right in to her. i didn't even feel the truck trying to stop.
I was expecting to get those last 2 responses at some point.
No, I don't want abs. The abs that i originally had in here only worked maybe once a year anyways.

But, our province is currently going thru some policy changes on lifted vehicles. One of the past regs indicated that the braking system has to function as it did by the manufacturer. If i go thru an inspection they will check to see if it is functioning properly. If i don't have the abs then I could have my rig yanked off the road and then have no insurance. I just wanted to see if it was possible to keep everything functioning the way it did prior to my mods...they may get me for sasing the truck anyways and swapping different axles in and then it would not matter anways.

I have one other question though. When in 4wd would the abs even work because of the locker front and rear? With the locker you cannot spin one wheel without spinning the other, and with 2 lockers if you cannot spin wheels individually then the only way to spin any wheels are to spin them all at once. So then when braking will it even be possible for me to lock up my rear brakes without locking up all 4 corners because if the front tires are turning then they will be turning the driveshafts.... or am i off in left field?

So then the only time abs would ever work would be in 2wd.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I think that ABS sensor may work off the ring gear teeth, so might be possible to locate it in a similar location to the Toyota axle and see if you can get it to work. Since the rear ABS only reads the ring gear rotation, it really can only see if both rear wheels lock up at the same time.

As far as ABS and lockers, no real impact. Why? Lockers, at least automatic ones, only lock when the ring gear is driving the axle shafts. Under braking, there should be no load on the ring gear, unless you are on the gas and brakes at the same time. If you are engine braking and hit the brakes and one wheel locks up, it will still do so with an automatic locker.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that ABS sensor may work off the ring gear teeth, so might be possible to locate it in a similar location to the Toyota axle and see if you can get it to work. Since the rear ABS only reads the ring gear rotation, it really can only see if both rear wheels lock up at the same time.

As far as ABS and lockers, no real impact. Why? Lockers, at least automatic ones, only lock when the ring gear is driving the axle shafts. Under braking, there should be no load on the ring gear, unless you are on the gas and brakes at the same time. If you are engine braking and hit the brakes and one wheel locks up, it will still do so with an automatic locker.
This is what i was hoping to hear. If it runs off the teeth then i may be able to get it to work or at least get the system so that it does not kick out a code.

I have a detroit up front and a mini spool in the rear so both rear tires would have to lock up at the same time in the rear...I see where you are going with the auto locker and 1 tire locking up vs the other one still being able to spin.

Thanks for all your input guys. I will keep looking into the sensor issue and post up my findings.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts

There is no way your going to position a A/c generating sensor in such a position to use the ring gear teeth. To get any kind of signal from the teeth your talking having the sensor right up against the face of the teeth--almost touching. Plus with the curvature of the driven side of the tooth your not going to get an odd signal...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i just found out from a friend that is in the process of setting up a new set of gears in his axles. He just said there is no reluctor ring and that it uses a magnetic pickup that senses the teeth as they rotate. He said it should be fairly simple to drill a hole in the housing and locate the sensor as close to the ring gear as possible.

It may or may not work but should not be too much work to accomplish. I will try once i get it on the road and can drive it again. It can be a rainy day project for me.

Crash, if you are right - then this may explain why the setup works so shitty straight from the factory!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at Figure 4. in the '95 4Runner FSM Rear Differential section, it shows the ABS sensor positioned in the top of the 3rd member housing, and looks to be right over where the ring gear spins. There is no additional relulctor ring shown.
Going to have to do a quick search and take a look at that. Thanks very much!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Correct, the speed sensor senses the ring gear teeth. If you can position it correctly it should work. I once had a broken ring gear tooth and could tell from my abs kicking in at slow speeds due to the abs thinking the rearend was locking up from the missing tooth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts