Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the 1.5, 1.6 and the 1.9TD swaps and was needing a bit of info about parts. Are these engines Carbureted or FI? Are there many options for Ford or Toyota trans adapters?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am equally as curious about this subject except for the question of fuel supply systems. As far as I know, the 1.5 and 1.6 are mechanically fuel injected and the 1.9 is electronic fuel injection. Correct me if im wrong but I dont believe there is such a thing as a carbureted diesel. There is the obvious axis conversion kit at rocky-road.com, but how hard is it to do, how well does it work, is it worth it, would you do it again? Thanks for any answers, links, or information.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking to do a deisel conversion in my Bronco II to run on vegie oil. From searching the net, it seems that VW deisels are easier to find, cheaper, and cheaper to work on with more readily made parts and kits. I know these are popular with Samuri swaps thats why I ask in this forum. Im sure I will have to turbo it to get enough power.
Im still lost on the trans adapters though....??? Does anyone make this or are they often fabbed?

·
Registered
242 Posts
ACME adapters.com has what you need even if its just information, and there kit dosent require you to find a specific north south oriented engine. The welded parts were also of much higher quality than any thing I ever recieved from RRO. The ACME stuff also works with the gas engines which have an enormous aftermarket like forged pistons, H beam connecting rods, turbo kits, lumpy as fuck cams as well as low range puller cams and other nifty stuff to empty your bank account. Edit: They also adapt theses engines to Toyota trannys, and the sidekick stuff. Manual and automatic.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
yep,jeff kerr is the diesel man
i drove one of his dd's with a 1.9 and that thing pulled

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am looking at the 1.5, 1.6 and the 1.9TD swaps and was needing a bit of info about parts. Are these engines Carbureted or FI? Are there many options for Ford or Toyota trans adapters?
The older models are much easier to install than the newer fool injected models. The downside is parts are getting REALLY hard to find.

For example, try sourcing a carb for an early vw 1.5 or 1.6 diesel. They're EXTREMELY rare, and next to impossible to find. Come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER seen one for come up for sale...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
For example, try sourcing a carb for an early vw 1.5 or 1.6 diesel. They're EXTREMELY rare, and next to impossible to find. Come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER seen one for come up for sale... (Posted by Phil-j)

Thats because they don't exist. Its mechanical fuel injection man. Please, someone, correct me if i'm wrong and making an ass out of myself, but THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A CARBURETED DIESEL! A carbureter controls airflow with the butterfly valve. Then also adds the correct amount of fuel corresponding with the amount of air coming in. Diesels dont have the required vacuum to run a carburetor because they don't have butterfly valves because they don't have carburetors! They control everything with fuel and pull in as much air as they need or in a turbo model they force air in. The vw's use a bosch rotary pump and a fuel distributor. I guess the fuel distributor could be confused with a carb by some of you drifto's out there that don't have a clue. That might be why you have never found one for sale! Sorry for being abrupt. I just couldn't take it anymore.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
For example, try sourcing a carb for an early vw 1.5 or 1.6 diesel. They're EXTREMELY rare, and next to impossible to find. Come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER seen one for come up for sale... (Posted by Phil-j)

Thats because they don't exist. Its mechanical fuel injection man. Please, someone, correct me if i'm wrong and making an ass out of myself, but THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A CARBURETED DIESEL! A carbureter controls airflow with the butterfly valve. Then also adds the correct amount of fuel corresponding with the amount of air coming in. Diesels dont have the required vacuum to run a carburetor because they don't have butterfly valves because they don't have carburetors! They control everything with fuel and pull in as much air as they need or in a turbo model they force air in. The vw's use a bosch rotary pump and a fuel distributor. I guess the fuel distributor could be confused with a carb by some of you drifto's out there that don't have a clue. That might be why you have never found one for sale! Sorry for being abrupt. I just couldn't take it anymore.
Zukidude, when you're all done feeling big in the head about yourself because you think you know more about diesel engines than the average Joe, go back and read Phil J's post again........but this time put your sarcasm cap on.

But hey, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with us "drifto's".

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
go back and read Phil J's post again........but this time put your sarcasm cap on.

Xeleventybillion:flipoff2:
BTW, what the fuck is a "drifto"?

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
see my sig

·
Registered
565 Posts
Zukidude, when you're all done feeling big in the head about yourself because you think you know more about diesel engines than the average Joe, go back and read Phil J's post again........but this time put your sarcasm cap on.

I know that trying to make me look like an "arrogant know it all" makes you sleep better at night but let's look at the facts. I may not have been completely diplomatic in my post, however, I was ultimately informative. Whereas phil j was really only posting to bash on people. In fact, his post would actually be the opposite of informative if he was to be taken seriously by someone who doesn't know any better because he's supporting false knowledge. I think you should know what i'm talking about considering your previous post about searching. You were very abrupt and rude, but you were also informative. Thats helpful, it helped me, thank you for that. But there's a big difference between coming on here and providing useful information (however rude you may be) and coming on here and being an ass for no reason. And as for my sarcasm cap, I left it on the shelf next to my degree in automotive sciences from Wyotech. Sorry that trying to provide real information for someone bothers you, just figured I could share some knowledge.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree completely that fact filled, useful, nice to read posts are the best kind. I spend HOURS searching for them for every minute that I spend posting.

When someone is looking for specific information, I post it up if I feel that I can adequately answer that question without misleading someone through "potentially correct information that I heard from a friend of a friend".

However, when there is plenty of information available on a topic, and someone asks very basic questions about it, it's pretty clear that they haven't put in much effort to find it themselves.

If you're so inclined, feel free to find some of my other posts. The majority of them are on topic, and aimed at answering specific questions that people have not been able to answer through their own searches...which, in my opinion, is how Bulletin Boards should work.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am equally as curious about this subject except for the question of fuel supply systems. As far as I know, the 1.5 and 1.6 are mechanically fuel injected and the 1.9 is electronic fuel injection. Correct me if im wrong but I dont believe there is such a thing as a carbureted diesel. There is the obvious axis conversion kit at rocky-road.com, but how hard is it to do, how well does it work, is it worth it, would you do it again? Thanks for any answers, links, or information.
As for your original questions, yes the 1.5 and 1.6 are mechanically injected. The 1.9 idi (indirect injection diesel) is as well. The 1.9 Tdi (turbo DIRECT injection) is the only electronically controlled vw diesel.

I haven't used the axis kit, I went with ACME. It's a pretty straight forward swap, as far as engine swaps go. Adapters are available to bolt and water cooled 4 cyl vw engine (gas or diesel, same bolt pattern) to a samurai tranny, sidekick tranny (5spd or auto) or toy W series tranny.

My 1.9 turbo / toy drivetrain swap was pretty spendy, and still getting more expensive, and to be honest, I was a little disappointed with the performance. It was sufficient, but I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth. That was with 11 psi and minor fuel increases. I restricted my fueling to keep egt's under control. Before I run it again, I will be running a large, high quality FMIC, which should allow for more boost/fuel without excessively high egts. If that's not enough, a larger turbo and more injection pump work should help.

In my opinion, for those interested, one of the best sources of info for VW diesels is vwdiesel.net . Lots of info on maintenance, rebuilds, performance work etc.

The vw diesel equivalent of Pirate being how to build a rock crawler...

·
Registered
565 Posts
As for your original questions, yes the 1.5 and 1.6 are mechanically injected. The 1.9 idi (indirect injection diesel) is as well. The 1.9 Tdi (turbo DIRECT injection) is the only electronically controlled vw diesel.

I haven't used the axis kit, I went with ACME. It's a pretty straight forward swap, as far as engine swaps go. Adapters are available to bolt and water cooled 4 cyl vw engine (gas or diesel, same bolt pattern) to a samurai tranny, sidekick tranny (5spd or auto) or toy W series tranny.

My 1.9 turbo / toy drivetrain swap was pretty spendy, and still getting more expensive, and to be honest, I was a little disappointed with the performance. It was sufficient, but I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth. That was with 11 psi and minor fuel increases. I restricted my fueling to keep egt's under control. Before I run it again, I will be running a large, high quality FMIC, which should allow for more boost/fuel without excessively high egts. If that's not enough, a larger turbo and more injection pump work should help.

In my opinion, for those interested, one of the best sources of info for VW diesels is vwdiesel.net . Lots of info on maintenance, rebuilds, performance work etc.

The vw diesel equivalent of Pirate being how to build a rock crawler...
Dude, I retract my previous statement. You have redeemed yourself in my book (not that that should make or break your day). Thank you very much for the information. It is very helpful in my decision. My apologies if I have offended you in any way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am running the acme kit with a 1.8L gas engine from a 90 fox. I will tell you that the stock fuel injection(CIS-E) is pretty much a bunch of crap. I am upgrading to a megasquirt ecu and audi/vw electonic injection. As for the adapter kit, I can vouch for not only the great fit and finish but also the customer service that acme has. They really are some of the most helpful people around, a nice change of pace since I have bought stuff from rocky road before and had some irritating results. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts