Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
A 4bt into a mini is going to be a bit tight. It will fit, bc i have seen them, but they are over 700 pounds dressed and the last gen 4bt for an automotive application was 170hp and 420 pound feet of torque. That is a 16V common rail motor I believe, so the older motors would not have that much power. I dont know of a way to bolt a yota tranny to a 4bt, or if it will handle the power. Bellhousing is SAE 2 or 3 and some came with GM patterns for manual and auto trannies.

I would rather have the VW motor as its lighter and smaller and you can get the same amount of power out of it as the 4bt (maybe a bit less tq than the CRD version) Mods are available for VW diesels (TDI & PD) to get 250 hp and 400 tq at the crank. Though this will take some $$$, you can do it for sure..

Good luck and keep us posted...
The newest versions of the 4 cylinder ISB have had displacement increased to 4.5L and offer up to a 185/515 rating in a OTR application. They also weigh in North of 800#'s wet and have a governed speed of 2500RPM.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
wouldnt bother with a 1kzte unless you have cash to burn..

http://tlc.off-road.com/tlc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=264200

3L motor making 115hp and 220 tq, not great... can easily get that out of a 1.9L VW...foreign reviews on the 1kzte say the torque curve is great and its smooth and quiet, which counts for a lot. Getting a 4wd front cut or half cut would be sweet, but $$$$.

VW 1.9 mechanical motors can be had for $1000 or so, TDI are more and PD are even more. The TDI is probably the simplest to mod for light power, chip it, intake and exhaust, etc and good power results. Check Fred's forum and you can read for weeks about VW diesels.. tdiclub.com

Got this from a well known TDI vendor about 2 years ago...

Yes, we have our own software that provides the serious tuner with actual editing screens for engine parameters (boost, fueling, and timing) and visual tuning maps. The bad news is that we only do this on turbo-diesels, and avoid gas applications. The custom tuning diesel versions for off-road are accompanied with hardware changes such as, larger turbo's, bigger injectors, and custom induction/intercooler/exhaust systems. I can recommend a serious builder a wicked-awesome combination of parts for a 200hp TDI, and 325 ft-lb torque monster (wheel numbers) on a distributor pump engine, stock bottom end and with bolt-on mod's. (22psi continuous boost). We are also working on a bigger monster PD engine.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
wouldnt bother with a 1kzte unless you have cash to burn..

http://tlc.off-road.com/tlc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=264200

3L motor making 115hp and 220 tq, not great... can easily get that out of a 1.9L VW...foreign reviews on the 1kzte say the torque curve is great and its smooth and quiet, which counts for a lot. Getting a 4wd front cut or half cut would be sweet, but $$$$.

VW 1.9 mechanical motors can be had for $1000 or so, TDI are more and PD are even more. The TDI is probably the simplest to mod for light power, chip it, intake and exhaust, etc and good power results. Check Fred's forum and you can read for weeks about VW diesels.. tdiclub.com

Got this from a well known TDI vendor about 2 years ago...

Yes, we have our own software that provides the serious tuner with actual editing screens for engine parameters (boost, fueling, and timing) and visual tuning maps. The bad news is that we only do this on turbo-diesels, and avoid gas applications. The custom tuning diesel versions for off-road are accompanied with hardware changes such as, larger turbo's, bigger injectors, and custom induction/intercooler/exhaust systems. I can recommend a serious builder a wicked-awesome combination of parts for a 200hp TDI, and 325 ft-lb torque monster (wheel numbers) on a distributor pump engine, stock bottom end and with bolt-on mod's. (22psi continuous boost). We are also working on a bigger monster PD engine.
Now thats what Im looking for! I just need to find a motor, Ive been keeping my eyes open on TDIclub, ebay ect. But if anyone finds anything of interest maybe PM me. Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mike, call Lockwood Auto Salvage and ask for Tom, he is the VW guy I was telling you about (he also the owner) he might be able to help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think my kubota/toyota is rated @ 65hp and it gets me around just fine. it will only go about 75mph but it works fine at the farm and around town. plenty of power for rockcrawling but leaves something to be desired on the interstate. unfortunately I dont suppose everyone has an extra kubota v2003t laying around to hook up to a toyota. Lately i have had my eye on a engine made by international mwm called the HS2.8L that seems like it may be a good canidate for a diesel swap not sure on price or availability yet. i believe there is a company called TLC that is making new fj40s that have this engine as an option.www.tlcicon.com

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
www.roadlessgear.com has an adapter plate for VW to W series. ACME has great support tho'. I got the ACME plate and modified Toyota flywheel.

The torque is great on the TDI - I am running stock toy tcase and 4.88's in the diffs and can spin 45" tractor tires at idle.
How much wiring is in that? You've got the Mechanical pump? I want to swap my 4runner to as little wiring as possible... I've been planning on doing Propane, but this might be the way I should go... Make my four runner, my SHTF truck as well :smokin:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Toy diesels are heavy!!!

several of my buds run BJ-42 land cruiser with a 3.4 natural aspiration diesel 4 cylinder. They are torquey as hell but gutless on the highway( a turbo would fix that) they also weigh around a 1100 pounds for a complete engine-tranny-t-case combo. By the way any land cruiser with a diesel is BJ, not an FJ. And good luck finding one.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
how r u guys searching for VW engines?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
how r u guys searching for VW engines?
to search for 2 lettered words add a * to the phrase.

ie. VW*

Pretty sure if you would have looked in the FAQ, its in there:flipoff2:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts