Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i need?? 2- 23 spline inputs and the 3.4 r150f adapter from marlin? am i missing anything swapping my dual ultimate into my taco?? chromo output too...

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's it for the cases. If it was 21 spline before, won't you have to swap the coupler in the adapter also? I don't know if you will have to do anything with the exhaust or not.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
exhaust has to be changed and the adapter needs to be bought. I went with the adapter from inchworm it has 45* to -10* clocking abilities where as the marlin only had 0 and 10* which doesnt get you too far ahead putting geardrive cases in a taco

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I'll be doing the exact same thing, so I'll be watching this thread. I was just going to call, but its good to be prepared w/ info before calling. :D

My guesstimate?

23 spline input
V6 adapter (dunno if its different for 3.4L vs. 3.0L?) EDIT: Yes, they are different.
VSS sensor adapter to replace speedo cable drive?
EDIT: Shift rod changes too

And yes, if you upgrade the second case to 23 spline, you'll have to upgrade the coupler too. The second case doesn't "have" to be 23 spline, but the first one does. But it would be good strength-wise.

If you've already got a dual-ultimate, then your second case gearset is already 21 or 23 spline. You can't just swap the input, you have to swap the gearset because the inputs they sell are only for the stock ratio gear sets.

For me, when I upgraded from stock-duals (21 spline 2.28/2.28) to dual-ultimate (2.28/4.7), I bought the 23 spline gear set and upgraded the coupler (actually, I bought a new clocked adapter w/ the new coupler in it). So all I need is a 23 spline first input and v6 adapter and VSS... I think.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Paul, Did you switch projects again? Dood! You got issues!

The R150f will bolt to the 3.4 with the stock 3.4 bellhousing.

You'll need an adapter to go from the r150 to gear drive case and a 23-spline input at the front.

Since you're that far in, you might as well go with a 23-spline in the rear case as well for strength. That would mean replacing a 21-spline coupler in the crawl box adapter also.

:)

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be doing the exact same thing, so I'll be watching this thread. I was just going to call, but its good to be prepared w/ info before calling. :D

My guesstimate?

23 spline input
V6 adapter (dunno if its different for 3.4L vs. 3.0L?)
VSS sensor adapter to replace speedo cable drive?

And yes, if you upgrade the second case to 23 spline, you'll have to upgrade the coupler too. The second case doesn't "have" to be 23 spline, but the first one does. But it would be good strength-wise.

If you've already got a dual-ultimate, then your second case gearset is already 21 or 23 spline. You can't just swap the input, you have to swap the gearset because the inputs they sell are only for the stock ratio gear sets.

For me, when I upgraded from stock-duals (21 spline 2.28/2.28) to dual-ultimate (2.28/4.7), I bought the 23 spline gear set and upgraded the coupler (actually, I bought a new clocked adapter w/ the new coupler in it). So all I need is a 23 spline first input and v6 adapter and VSS... I think.
right, ive got 21 spline 4.7's, buy the time i buy all the junk i might as well buy a fresh set of 23 spline 4.7's???

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul, Did you switch projects again? Dood! You got issues!

The R150f will bolt to the 3.4 with the stock 3.4 bellhousing.

You'll need an adapter to go from the r150 to gear drive case and a 23-spline input at the front.

Since you're that far in, you might as well go with a 23-spline in the rear case as well for strength. That would mean replacing a 21-spline coupler in the crawl box adapter also.

:)
i had a new build thread but it got axed for some reason. i was already super sick of pirate4x4.com and barely even cared to post it. its gone now, i dont have much time for the internet anyhow...see you on the trails...ill ask questions here im sure as i go...

·
Registered
411 Posts
i had a new build thread but it got axed for some reason. i was already super sick of pirate4x4.com and barely even cared to post it. its gone now, i dont have much time for the internet anyhow...see you on the trails...ill ask questions here im sure as i go...
i was looking for it today and didn't find it.figured they moved it to the tacoma section... i wonder why the mods deleted it???:confused:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yeah, what gives?

Maybe the mods are tired of Booger's half finished builds!! :flipoff2:

In any case, I'd like to know why it got axed. ???

edit: just noticed Booger's post count is down to newb rating. What's up?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
right, ive got 21 spline 4.7's, buy the time i buy all the junk i might as well buy a fresh set of 23 spline 4.7's???
Yeah, and just sell the old ones. Probably might as well buy a new dual case adapter and sell the old one too, since a coupler is over $100 I think.

yes, but theyve put a clocking option on the 3.4 plate??
Marlins? I think Inchworm's might. I'd like to know the difference between the two...

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Too bad, you're builds are some of the best on in the Toy section. :mr-t:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
OK I did some research... to sum up this thread, refer to the new one Booger posted in the Taco section:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7311667

The V6 adapter will work on both R150F trannys for the 3.0 & 3.4 manual tranny's.
That's what I thought, but not true, according to Inchworm...

The other thing I didn't think of is the fact that the R150 is a forward shift tranny, but I explained that in the thread linked above.

Also, Inchworm has a second option for the VSS via an adapter, and the speedo may be off (see thread above).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts