Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting my new DD all squared away and went to change the 5 speed gear oil only to find the plug stripped. this is the fill plug up on the driver's side that requires a 17mm wrench. the guy before me stripped the head on the plug, so i can't get a grip on it to get it out and replace it. who has a list of tricks to get this out? i don't really want to drill, because i don't want the metal shavings to drop into the gearbox when the bit goes through.

this previous owner made the interior and exterior look sweet, but climbing underneath is a nightmare in nickel-rocketry.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Never tried this on a tranny but I know it works on diffs and transfercases. Weld a large nut on to the back of the old plug. What seems to work the best is the extra tall nuts like the ones use on u-bolts.

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
Drain the fluid and then add the recommended amount through the shifter hole with a long funnel. it doesnt take too long to remove the shifter and you dont have to deal with the stripped plug either.

-j-rOd

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
4RnrRick said:
Never tried this on a tranny but I know it works on diffs and transfercases. Weld a large nut on to the back of the old plug. What seems to work the best is the extra tall nuts like the ones use on u-bolts.

Or you can weld the socket onto the plug. Wasted socket,but at least you get the plug out.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I know this one!!! I managed to get off locked lug nuts via the same method. Vice grips and hammer. Lock on the vice grips and whack it with a hammer, then just get a new bolt, unless you really like doing this method repeatedly :flipoff2:

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
jhama78 said:
Drain the fluid and then add the recommended amount through the shifter hole with a long funnel. it doesnt take too long to remove the shifter and you dont have to deal with the stripped plug either.

-j-rOd
Last resort Bootie Fab!!! Weld nut on and
unbolt, Fix it right now at home under great conditions soyou don't have to screw with it on the trail!!!:D

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
OOP'S said:
Last resort Bootie Fab!!! Weld nut on and
unbolt, Fix it right now at home under great conditions soyou don't have to screw with it on the trail!!!:D
I agree its booty fab but if he needs to drive it tomorrow then filling it through the shifter hole will work. But you are most definitely right, fix it at home and then you dont have to sweat it in less than ideal conditions.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no need to drive it tomorrow. i still haven't torched the T100 IFS yet. i need to get the 4runner solid for a DD. i will try some of these methods tonight to get it off. no bootie fab in my garage. thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
try to get a hold of snap on dealer in your area they have the greatest sockets in the world for just this type of situation. They have teeth built into the insides and they come in all different sizes. I have a set and they have saved me so many times , seriously one of my favorite tools!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts