Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a cruiser, so I don't know too much about trucks. I'm just trying to help out a neighbor.

His W56 makes a wierd grinding noise in first, second and third gears, but not in 4th or 5th. It is a constant noise, not just when shifting. It is a light grinding noise, kind of like the noise you get when shifting a non-synchro gear when the truck is moving. The noise increases with drive shaft speed, not engine speed. There is no noise with the tranny in N, but the same noise with the transfer case in N and the tranny in gears 1-3.

Any guesses about what is causing the noise and how to fix it?

thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Most likely the input bearing and the one in the middle of the tranny where the two aluminum housing pieces come together. You fix it by replacing those bearings!:D

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I feel it is the bearings as stated...once he gets the cases seperated its really nothing to replace em (if he doesnt have it done at a shop)...just watch for a couple of small indent pins on the shift rods...and synchros can be a pain...just do it slowly....if he does it al all....795 up to 1300 for a rebuilt...I had autozone match the local shops cost and am going that way my self...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sounds like a rebuild is due . I got one from a shop in Redding for 600 out the door fully rebuilt

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On a related question, since this thing needs to come apart anyway, how big of a job is it? I have done a number of other transmissions, like sm420s and Toy LC 4speeds, but I dunno nothing about trannies with a "center bearing" and plate. Are there any special tools that you just can't do without? I don't have the FSM manual on it yet and the Haynes rag sheet is no help other than showing you an exploded diagram.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I ripped into mine blindfolded basically with just my haynes and mitchell manuals...I got it all tore down with a set of 3 finger bearing pullers, ring plires, hammer an blocks...a press will make a difference...So I am building one...LOL...I did not get to far into the main input since my pullers were not that long to reach the gears...thats where a press is handy...the center bearings are small compared to the outer case ones...watch out for the small metal balls and pins when you take the shift rails...do not loose em and use small cans to keep your parts seperated...the breakdown pics in the manuals are basic, but they do show pretty much all of it
There is not much to seperating the front and rear cases...nothing will fall out unless it has busted inside..everything is attaches to the centerplate so to speak...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts