4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 Extra Cab Pick Up
Found it locally - a friend called me about it last night
22RE - solid engine
Automatic - run it until I find parts at a good price to do a 5 spd swap
No frame rust
Front axle needs a knuckle service kit with bearings
Brakes suck - front and rear need replacing but I'll just convert the rear to discs/full floater
Gay Chrome rollbar
Bunjee cord battery mount :rolleyes:
Bed rusted on floor by cab
Tailgute stuck closed
Lots of little things to do but it is a solid platform for a dedicated trail rig for one of my boys.

It has LOTS of potential as the cab is solid too.
That is my youngest, he's 5, and my shop helper.

More pictures to come here:
http://www.wabfab.org/projects/1985pu/1985pu.htm

:smokin:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good start....call me I have some parts you will need...:D
that little guy looks like he could help with the tear down....
I have been reading up on the manual swap but cannot find a complete parts list or a good detailed write-up on the swap.

What all is needed? Is there a link or thread out there that details it all?

My youngest, he is 5 but already a big help in the shop and he loves trucks. He got to go wheeling for the first time a couple weeks ago and now that is all I hear about. :D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Is it done yet :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not a mechanic, don't claim to be, so if this is a stupid question, please answer anyway. :flipoff2:

Cleaned up the engine and front axle, multiple layers of mud, gunk and oil buildup...but everything looks fine...no obvious drips after the engine running about 10 minutes at idle. However, with the engine running I pulled the oil dipstick and the idle drops and the engine studders, never dies...put the dipstick back in, idle up and it runs fine again. Why does it do this?

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
easy enough swap that a write up would be boring...I have all the parts...lets get crash to do it for you..he doesnt have any projects going right now>>>:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, don't claim to be, so if this is a stupid question, please answer anyway. :flipoff2:

Cleaned up the engine and front axle, multiple layers of mud, gunk and oil buildup...but everything looks fine...no obvious drips after the engine running about 10 minutes at idle. However, with the engine running I pulled the oil dipstick and the idle drops and the engine studders, never dies...put the dipstick back in, idle up and it runs fine again. Why does it do this?

My WAG is that there is vacuum in the crankcase some how and when you pull the dipstick you essentially have a vacuum leak. Maybe? :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts

Crankcase oil pressure. Your oil pump creates pressure which aids in the oil traveling around a little easier, and when it drops, causes the engine to gasp.

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
Crankcase oil pressure. Your oil pump creates pressure which aids in the oil traveling around a little easier, and when it drops, causes the engine to gasp.
Uh... that really doesn't make sense. Drop in oil pressure should not cause the engine to stumble. I agree with vacuum in the crankcase.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
easy enough swap that a write up would be boring...I have all the parts...lets get crash to do it for you..he doesnt have any projects going right now>>>:eek:
I'm an enginerd :p I live for boring. :flipoff2:

Shoot me a quote on all the parts I need for the 5 spd swap please. :D

Does Crash do any projects or just bitch about everyone else's? :grinpimp:

My WAG is that there is vacuum in the crankcase some how and when you pull the dipstick you essentially have a vacuum leak. Maybe? :confused:
Thanks guys. Makes sense...just never noticed it on any other vehicle.

I junked the Marty McFly gayness of a roll bar that was on there as all it did was rust out the bed where it was mounted. :mad3: Pulled a mass of wiring out of the engine bay and cab...it was somekind of aftermarket cruise control crap...weirdest junk I've ever seen...not even hooked up to the power anymore but it had wires going everywhere.

Cleaned up the underbelly with some Purple Degreaser Crap and the pressure washer and did actually find an axle under there under all the mud, gunk and oil. The underbelly looks great now but my driveway looks bad...the wife is gonna be pissed over that one...maybe it will rain tonight. :)

Going to check out the engine next week with the basic compression and leak down tests even though it sounds strong, does not smoke and I have found no oil leaks, and do some general maintenance, oil change, radiator flush, new fluids in the diffs, tranny, tcase, etc.

More to come as I get time...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Are you actually going to wheel this one or will it be a 2WD-bandit-vendors-showcase-mobile like the 4Skinner :flipoff2:

Ive got three manuals at my house if you need one :p:p:p

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you actually going to wheel this one or will it be a 2WD-bandit-vendors-showcase-mobile like the 4Skinner :flipoff2:

Ive got three manuals at my house if you need one :p:p:p
:lmao:

Thanks for the offer but I have the FSM on PDF and a hardcopy.

I haven't decided yet what path it is going to take but for now I am going to get it in excellent mechanical shape before doing anything else...perhaps daily drive it a bit...but it will definitely end up lifted/locked/loaded as a trail rig for one of the boys. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts

I have one that does the same thing. Take off the oil cap I bet it dies. So far the only thing I have found is the rear hose thats hooked to the valve cover (not the one with the PCV) is always pulling vacuum. I think It should be ported. I really haven't had time to dig into it yet but when I figure it out I'll post up.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I have one that does the same thing. Take off the oil cap I bet it dies. So far the only thing I have found is the rear hose thats hooked to the valve cover (not the one with the PCV) is always pulling vacuum. I think It should be ported. I really haven't had time to dig into it yet but when I figure it out I'll post up.
I havent seen a 22re that doesnt do that. Also some Nissan motors do it as well. Mine runs horrible with the oil cap off, oil stick out or PCV pulled from cover only.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engine and tranny check out fine. No leaks on the engine that I see now, but if something pops up, I'll fix it then.

Well after checking out things here are some things I have to do before I can dd it a bit:
Knuckle service rebuild kit w/ wheel bearings
Front Vented Rotors
IFS 4 cyl loaded calipers
Rear axle seal/bearing kit - both sides
Rear shoes (covered in diff oil)
Rear drums turned
New rear brake line
Drive belts
Radiator cap
Wiper blades
Oil change
Battery Mount

Once I get it roadworthy again then I can start with the goodies. :D

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope, I decided to keep it so it has begun. :D

All the parts get here early next week so I can hopefully work on it over the Thanksgiving break.

Everything looked good as I took things apart other than worn out axle seals and pea soup. The knuckle balls are slightly pitted in one spot as shown, but some light sanding will fix that easily. All the bearings looked good and showed no signs of abnormal wear but the wheel bearing nuts did have screwdriver marks on them and were loose. :rolleyes:

Going to give this one the full treatment over the next few months...all the goodies and then some, but keeping the creature comforts like heat and AC and not going above 35" tires, so I can use it as a daily driver and some drive around town advertising with a new custom paint job :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts