Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the waggy swaps (and yes there are a LOT of them) but have been unable to find a specific answer to this:
I am putting the front D44 from a waggy into my 1999 XJ and need to know if the stock wagoneer steering will work - at a glance, it looks like the drag link hits close to the same place, so the drag link angle should be similar, only the XJ has that "Y" crap instead of a solid tie rod.
I would like to use the drag link and tie rod from the wagoneer and a drop pitman I already have for the XJ. Obviously they will fit the axle, but are there any angle issues or clearance issues with coil buckets, track bars, etc?

Any info or link I was unable to find is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i dont believe you can use the XJ pitman arm unless you get it reamed to fit the waggy. get a waggy drop pitman arm though, and everything will work out grand. cant help you with the rest, but im building a 44 and have about the same amount of lift so go for it

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
grand waggys have over the knuckle steering. I'm running 3.5 inches of lift and no drop on a stock waggy pitman arm so that i get full benefit of lock to lock steering. Not sure about how much space there is around the steering box on a XJ though, I had to cut my upper track bar mount on my YJ

·
Registered
94 Posts
I threaded the stock xj pitman arm joint into the waggy drag link. Fit just fine, as for strength, I don't know, time will tell.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Word

Thanks for the input. I was planning on doing the FSJ drag link and tie rod with XJ pitman like Shmoken875, only with the drop pitman that came with my lift.
I think strength will be just fine for my wheeling style. The tie rod is off my 1976 2-door, may it rest in peace, and it handled those 6,000lbs through 18 years of Moab without budging. I am confident it will outlast, say, the steering box mount.:D

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
You should use a pitman arm from a d44. The arc of the pitman arm should be the same as the arc of the knuckle from the center of the bj to the center of the TRE. I used a Ford drop arm. RC6602 (purchased from DC4WD or you can use superlift 1104

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, that is the first I have heard of that part. Wouldn't the difference need to be pretty drastic before it seriously limited steering range? Just modeling it in my head, I suppose if it is too shallow (steering box hole and drag link hole on the pitman arm not horizontally far enough apart), then the arm will be moving toward the back of the vehicle when turning faster than the knuckle - thus bindage?
Again, it seems like the difference would have to be big, but I don't know. I'll look around a little...

·
Registered
259 Posts
The steering will suck unless you use a Waggy arm or redrill your knuckles and ream them in closer to the ball joint. Did same thing on YJ and had to go to a Waggy arm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts