Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I'm to the point with my runner that i have started gathering parts for my sas.

I have my ruf and 63's for leafs, I also picked up a elocker.

I have found a waggy 44 and a mini truck housing. The mini truck housing comes with 4.30 gears so it will match my stock rears, but i will have to flip it, and want to set it up to run the big brakes off the 3rd gen runner, i have been doing a lot of reading on you guys flipping and adding some width to the housings and am confidant i can do it (machinist student with access to lathes and milling machines)

I have to say i am leaning towards doing that, but i have a lead on a waggy 44 on the cheap, but have read on here people dislike the brakes, my question for you guys is, has anyone ran the big brakes off the 3rd gen runners on a waggy housing? I'm sure it can be done (anything can be done with enough time/money) but if someone has done something similar i would love to pick your brain.

i know you guys like pictures, so heres my junk :flipoff2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
IMO the mini axle is too narrow and looks like a twig under a 3rd gen. You can fix it with IFS hub swap, but your scrub radius isn't ideal. Go with a full width 44 or just go ahead and make the leap to a 60.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i ran a mini, i would be flipping it and adding around 3" to the short side and running ifs hubs and bigger brakes, so I'm not worried about the width, either way they will be the same width…

now in saying that, i understand that running ifs hubs moves your wms out away from the pivot point of the steering, thus radically increasing the feed back you get on your wheel and force it takes to turn your wheels. For that reason the waggy 44 would be nice…. but i read that the breaks suck, so this is where my toss - up is...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, and fyi to benny_wiskas …. ifs hub swap isn't enough alone, you would have to run ifs hub swap plus spacers to match the rear….. this i don't want to do, thats where adding the width to the housing comes into play

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I think that a lot of the issues with waggy brakes comes from improper sized masters. I had waggy brakes on my buggy and it would lock up 39.5's with a 1 1/16 master. Your pedal will be spongy with a stock size master but there are many bolt on options for the taco with bigger bores.

For that matter most one ton guys that are running the smaller brakes for 15" wheels are running a version of waggy brakes as the waggy and gm stuff is near identical in size and caliper volume. They all stop big tires no problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks,
I would love to have a fj60 housing, but I can't find any locally, I don't exactly live around anywhere that has old toyota parts at the ready haha. But I will definitely keep my eyes out for one.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
thanks,
I would love to have a fj60 housing, but I can't find any locally, I don't exactly live around anywhere that has old toyota parts at the ready haha. But I will definitely keep my eyes out for one.
There's two for sale right now on here. $400/each. I think 'patoyee' is the guy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An fj60 front w ifs hubs matches the rear perfectly and comes with a potentially better diff than both.

Btw, your bumpers pretty cool lookin!
and, thanks man, I got the idea off of here ( it was originally just tube) but I later filled it in to make it look a little more beefy. It was my first attempt at a "tube bumper" I have always made plate style before, this one turned out like a happy medium.

here is the rear one with the swing out tire carrier I made. :barf:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There's two for sale right now on here. $400/each. I think 'patoyee' is the guy
Ill have to check the buyandsell section … I bet shipping would be a bitch though, all i have ever shipped before are mountain bike parts haha

I can get a complete waggy housing with leafs and brakes for 125, or a mini truck housing complete with 4.30 gears set-up for 400

and thats all local so no shipping

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am running a waggy 44 in my runner and like it so far. you don't have to worry about the knuckle balls bending or the housing bending like the Toyota's. and it has held up pretty well to my 37 reds. the brakes are more than enough to stop it also. just need to change master or tweak a few things./

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Ill have to check the buyandsell section … I bet shipping would be a bitch though, all i have ever shipped before are mountain bike parts haha

I can get a complete waggy housing with leafs and brakes for 125, or a mini truck housing complete with 4.30 gears set-up for 400

and thats all local so no shipping
Just FYI if you wanna keep the 4.30 gears. Dana has a 4.27 available.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am running a waggy 44 in my runner and like it so far. you don't have to worry about the knuckle balls bending or the housing bending like the Toyota's. and it has held up pretty well to my 37 reds. the brakes are more than enough to stop it also. just need to change master or tweak a few things./
thats good to hear, I don't plan on anything bigger then 37's I'm running 305/75/16 and I'm happy for now, on the stock wheels they actually stand 34.5" tall with new tread. The first pic is with my brothers 35" crawlers but they are 15'' and i have to run crazy offset to clear the brakes without grinding them, so I'm thinning a 35-37 with a 16-17" wheel… unless I end up on tons someday haha

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
id look at the following options
- diamond axle
- if you have access to machines, this would be a good thread for you to read http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1787514-widening-front-axle-right-way.html
- keep the IFS
- dana 44
-diamonds cost money i don't have as a student with a kid
-i am subscribed to that thread and am going to use a lot of ideas from it if i go that route
-i have thought about keeping the ifs, and the inspection laws around here say i should, but I'm an ass and want to sas it, i considered long travel ifs, but its stupid amounts of money
-the waggy 44 is one of my options listed haha

thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
i think i saw on facespace that diamond is offering builder housings now, not sure on cost but another option.

if you are broke, id stick with the IFS and save money for a diamond and links. leaves are for trees. you will have to wait longer, but trust me it will be worth it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts