Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and found nothing on this so I'll ask.

What do you guys think of using an '88 Wagoneer as a tow rig? The vehicle weight is about 4700# and I'm towing around 4800#. Trailer is fairly light at 1500# (2 axle and brakes).

Waggy has a 360 and auto tranny. I know the original 360 didn't really have a lot of HP. Suspension and would be stiffened appropriately.

I'd really like to have a Waggy and not sure if it'll hold up. Tranny might not last long.

Thanks

-Milt

·
Registered
499 Posts
It should work fine. Should be about the same weight and wheelbase as my 1990 K5 Blazer, which I have towed with a lot (from 500 to 6000 pounds). I have owned it since new, 5.7L, TH700R4, trailering package has oil and trans coolers, 180,000 miles on it now. Had the trans rebuilt under warranty at 27,000 miles, but other than that, the engine and trans have not required any work other than regular maintenance (knock on wood). :D

1) Make sure you have a good trailer with proper weight distribution and good brakes.

2) Add a big trans cooler, and make sure your cooling system is up to the task (I am replacing my 2 core radiator with a 4 core).

3) Your gears play a big part in the life of your trans. My Blazer has 3.73 gears and 31" tires, and that seems to work fine for the kind of weight you're talking about towing. I cruise in OD on flat ground, but downshift manually into 3rd on long hills. In third, the engine is spinning nicely at 65, so it's right in the power band to pull hills.

4) Mountains are not fun. That's where you'll really notice if you are a little down on HP. If you have to tow in the mountains, take your time.

5) Using a weight distributing hitch setup will help deal with excess tonge weight if your rear springs can't take it. And for the weight you are talking about towing with this vehicle, I would recommend one. Follow the directions for weight capacity and tongue weight marked on your frame mounted receiver hitch.

Later!
Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely, I have used my GW for a tow rig plenty of times, from a waverunner to a K5. Granted I couldn't pass a gas station without stopping, but a stock GW might not be nearly as bad.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I was going to do this with my waggy, but then I checked out the fuel tank and low and behold the friggin frame rail on the drivers side was about to rot through because of that gay metal tub the tank sits in :( :eek:

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Pdaddy said:
I was going to do this with my waggy, but then I checked out the fuel tank and low and behold the friggin frame rail on the drivers side was about to rot through because of that gay metal tub the tank sits in :( :eek:
But is sooo pimp, and looooves it when a drunk starts gettin' jiggy with the skinny pedal! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You can do some performance mods to it to give it some more down low "oommph" A decent camshaft, TFI ignition upgrade, Edelbrock manifold and the carb of your choice or even fuel injection if you are so inclined. Open up the exhaust a bit and ditch the smog crap if you feel you need to. get a set of numerically taller gears and make sure you get an good tranny cooler. Class 3 hitches, tranny coolers and "taller" gears were an option on these rigs as well as dealer installed 2nd gas tanks in the place of the spare tire. If you want to learn more about waggies, follow the link in my sig.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Alright well i'm gonna second his notion, what about no cat to a flowmaster, mild cam, and possibly integrating a 2nd fuel tank in there somewhere? Only asking cause I'm considering it also.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Everything you want to do is a good upgrade to a waggie. You can buy an aftermarket tank from Aerotanks ($$$$$$$). Or get one from a junked waggie like I did.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Bones said:

But is sooo pimp, and looooves it when a drunk starts gettin' jiggy with the skinny pedal! :flipoff2:
I didnt say it wasnt pimp, you should host that short vid of the waggy smokin the tire off down the road so he can see just how badass the ol woodie is! LOL :D

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I hate to rain on the parade, but I wouldn't want to use a Wag as a serious tow right. A friend used an 86 Wag to tow, and it was really hard to watch. He'd get crappy gas mileage and it worked that poor old rig really hard to tow.

It made me realize that my 75 Wag will never get a tow hitch for the rear. It just isn't worth it.

Plus, with the age of most Wags, they start breaking parts when you start pushing them hard when doing things like towing. Maybe if everything is freshened up it would do ok, but it will always be pushing it.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I gotta agree with you on the MPG thing, my DD waggy is a gas suckin mutha!!! I couldnt imagine towing with it, although I did pull my neighbors SFA 94 fullsize extended cab chebby on 39.5's about 12miles on a hilly road when he smoked his tranny. It pulled just fine and that is one big got damn truck. I think the potential is there , but you'd defiantly want a sound one to use it as a regular tow rig.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

Why not? I do it ALL the time.. spec'd the trailer for 6 lug heavy duty axles, throw on a matching set of waggie wheels and go. Yes gas MPG sucks but hey, I'm keeping it Jeep.

Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360 V8 NP 435 granny low, with a 25' 2001 Diamond C trailer

My TowSlut :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts