Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i think i have took some peoples advice and i am going to get waggy d44's f/r and run 4" lift waggy springs...question is would i have to move the spring mount to keep the wheel base the same? i tried search but there are so many topics that deal with waggy springs it would take foreever

edit: couldnt i just drill holes through the center of the springs and make my own center pin? wouldnt that make the wheelbase stay the same?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Nice first post.

Now...what is this going on? How much lift do you want? The whole purpose of waggy springs is to get more length so there might be a better option for you. Do you not want to trim fenders? Let us know a bit more, OK
..and it is a PITA to drill through springs but it none the less it is possible....Yj springs are similiar lenght to the waggy springs but they do not have a offset pin location.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just want to be able to run 35's without goins soa for a while...i can get the 4" springs really cheap 80 bucks each(i can get wholesale) i dont want to cut...i would cut enough for tj flares. and i saw that waggy 4" lift springs will give more more lift on a YJ...also would they look too arched?

·
Registered
320 Posts
did you email that guy about the axles? and yes they should be ok sprung under. but to keep it simple why dont you jsut use 4 inch yj springs. that way you wont have to relocated hangers and such. they would bolt in a little easier till you get a feel for things. i got a project going on now. i am in marietta close to you. so if you got any more questions you can shoot me an email and i can try to point you in a right direction, scott
[email protected]

·
Registered
169 Posts
This going on an YJ? Maybe I missed it… If you want to run 35’s on a spring under you will need either 4” springs and a 3” body lift, or some saw-zal in there some place as a substitution for the lift.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i have a 2 inch body lift now...i forgot to include this...my jeep is my daily driver so i dont want it to look retared with too much/little tire and fender gap... i was thinking of 4.5" Extreme Duty kit with 1.25 lift shackles, keep my 2 inch body lift and get some tj flares....how does this sound?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ryan, ditch the body lift, cut the fenders and go SOA with the Waggies. You're already going through an axle swap and will need an SYE, why not flip the perches and run 2.5" springs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
JS-Economos said:
Ryan, ditch the body lift, cut the fenders and go SOA with the Waggies. You're already going through an axle swap and will need an SYE, why not flip the perches and run 2.5" springs.
Yeah what he said.
i used to Have a SOA (stock wrangler springs)YJ with no body lift & TJ flares & I was running 36x12.50 TSL SX`s on 8" rims & only had very little rubbing under flex.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah well i got the money and all but i didnt want to cut the fenders...i would get the tube fenders that are flatty instead...would i have to cut the back?

ill go 38's later but im swapping in some 44 front 60 rear but i was gonna wait to go soa and 38's after i did my engine swap

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the looks of YJ flares, thats just me though. I would flat-fender the front and throw on TJ rear flares. Do tube fenders later if you want up front, but don't worry about cutting sheetmetal. If you take your time and use the right tools, it looks 110% better.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Special Ed said:
yeah well i got the money and all but i didnt want to cut the fenders...i would get the tube fenders that are flatty instead...would i have to cut the back?

ill go 38's later but im swapping in some 44 front 60 rear but i was gonna wait to go soa and 38's after i did my engine swap
What width are you wanting these axles? Keep in mind that stock wms-wms width is 60.5".

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
2.5L 5sp. 4.10 gear 2 inch body lift with 31's...yeah well i can get some tube fenders bolt on for real cheap so ill prolly go ahead and get them....waggy d44 front and a 79 ford d60 ill prolly get the back cut down to match the front...how much does it cost to get an alxe narrowed? where to get it done? i want to regear to 4.88...i would go lowe but an engine swap is comming shortly after.... so what are u saying i should do...swap my axles in, 4" BDS waggy springs, soa?

what can i do to run the waggy springs so it wont lengthen the wheelbase? drill holes in the center and put a centering pin there?

i need help i dont know jack about waggy springs on a YJ or about axles...ive searched and search all yesterday and today...and im still trying to get strait

but i do want to run 35's until i do my engine swap...so i dont want it lifted so much it looks tacky

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your web-page looks like its special ed, haha, you can get your axles geared and narrowed at any place that sets up axles for race cars. Open up the yellow pages and look call around. If you think that an engine swap is in the near future then re-gear your axles to compensate for it and don’t install them until you do your engine either.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
If you don't want a changed wheelbase you don't want waggy springs!!!

If you are planning on running 38's soon just do a spring over now, however just use some stock spings with the 35's and then get some bigger springs for 38's. Do the axle swap once, not once for spring over once for spring under.

no matter what your going to need some kind of fender trumming, the stock openings have a smaller radius then 35's so they won't tuck in.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yea as they said you can go ahead and do the spring over since you want to do it in the futture anyways, it will also save you money now since you can use your stock springs. the spring over with the 2 inch body lift will work good with 35's for now. you shouldnt even have to trim the fenders. may need an inch shackle lift too but thats it. and 35's will fit fine. why get a 60 rear and have to narrow it. just stick with two waggy axles. they will be fine for what you do with your rig. 60 seems to be over kill on price, having to have it narrowed and all. 44 will hold up just fine. so there you have it. now go do it

·
Registered
175 Posts
I ran a 93 wrangler with your engine and tranny and had D44's and and SOA with stock springs and 35's and it worked great for 2 years before I dropped in a 360/727. Then I encountered Axle wrap. You would be much better off doing the SOA now and then forget it until you do your engine swap. Then all you have to do is add a traction bar and your're done.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok well that what ill do soa and keep the body lift and run 35's...so later one what springs should i get for 38's? i do the engine swap and the 38's around the same time...so would the 44's hold the 5.0?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts