Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Waggy D44 front that's going into my XJ. I welded my drivers side LCA mount/coil perch (Ruffstuff coillink) with one tab on the tube and the other notched out and welded to the cast center section. I welded it as correctly as my abilities permitted with three passes using nickel 55 rod. Unfortunately it looks like shit and like it could be a failure point.
So my question, how much of the casting can be chopped off without the tube falling out of the centersection? I plan to weld the tube, but the cast leaf spring mount needs to go.

And yes, I searched :flipoff2:, the closest I found was the same process for a F250 D44

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Mine probably looks worse, is on an 80s F350 HP60, and has lived with 40" tires and a mild 440/NV4500/241/205 doubler. I've hit several trees, blown apart rear leaf springs, etc. but that mount hasn't moved. Just box it in.

You worry too much :flipoff2:. This was just with regular old MIG and some preheat/postheat.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Nickle rod is hard to get to look nice.

Also remember most of the force on that spring plate is down. You will have some up force when drooped but not a ton. Its not like a leaf spring mount that has to fight axle wrap.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Can you make a truss or a half of one to grab some axle tube?

·
Registered
193 Posts

this is one i did last summer. i think we removed 1.5 or 2 in of mount. cut around with a cutoff disk then two cuts parallel to the tube and cold chisel to seperate.

then weld tube to housing. its pressed in there far so no need to worry about it falling out

https://www.tntcustoms.com/sites/default/files/XD Front Axle Truss_3.pdf

that is the link to the truss used in the above photo

says cut off 2 and 3/8 inches. that should help with attaching a bracket to the short divers side tube

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

this is one i did last summer. i think we removed 1.5 or 2 in of mount. cut around with a cutoff disk then two cuts parallel to the tube and cold chisel to seperate.

then weld tube to housing. its pressed in there far so no need to worry about it falling out
Exactly what I needed to know, thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts