Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be Jeep tech, but oh well :flipoff2:

How can I get the rear window down on a '88 waggy, so that I can pull the tailgate off?

Found a truck at PnP this week end and want the rear gate for the window motor and heated rear glass. But IIRC they dont let batteries in the yard and I dont even have the key for the gate. but I do have the ign. key to make my life easier.

I think there is some kind of mechanism that wont let the gate unlatch without the window being down. I was gonna throw a axle thru the glass to get the motor but figured I'd wait. Now I want the glass too.

Ideas? Help?

thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The window has to be down to get the tailgate down. You can open up the access panel on the inside and try to jimmy the mechanism down. This is alot of work as you have to unhook the glass and it's frame from the mechanism. You have to be very flexiable and it helps to have long skinny hands and fingers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's best to have a helper while you're doing this....your hands will be in a very uncomfortable position, and once you release the window you'll be in no position to keep it from crushing your hand. Don't ask me how I know:rolleyes: Yor best source of info would be at www.ifsja.org. Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Hell, I'd just slip a small 12V sealed gel cell in my tool bag and use it to power down the window. Even it they did see it in your tools, it's obvious that you're not going to try to start an engine or something. Just tell them what you're after and why you need the battery. If they still won't let you in, then just salute them and walk off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There is a switch inside of the tailgate that prevents the motor from running when the tailgate is down. i am pretty sure it is on the driver's side. it was broken on my wag when I got it.. Just pull the 2-wire plug off the switch from the inside and jam a wire in each of the terminals. then if everything else works you can turn the ignition on and hit the tailgate button on the dashboard.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
GREEN WAGON said:
Or you could pull the 2 clips that hold the window frame to the regulater.
I'll second this method; there are two regulator arms with pins on the end that ride in guides on the bottom window channel. Remove the screws holding the carpet panel, remove the screws holding on the access panel, grow an arm 2" in diameter with three elbows, reach up to the end of the regulator arms, and pry the clip off with a small screwdriver. Each clip is a circle with four inward-facing prongs, which grab a groove on the end of the pin. Pry those prongs out of the groove one at a time, while prying underneath the clip.

If you want to save the wiring and the defroster on the rear glass, clip the tie-wraps holding the wire to the regulator arm, or else they'll rip right off the glass when you drop it into the tailgate.

Another option is to unbolt the three 7/16"-headed bolts holding the motor onto the regulator. Of course, you want to jam a screwdriver in the gears so that when you pop that motor off the regulator arms don't slice your own arms off when the glass drops.

Good luck; you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, thanks for all the good tech... hopefully it's still there when I get back to it. Actually sounds like a PITA, maybe someone will do me a favor and buy it first.

Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.