Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 yota pickumup. ive searched and so far my question has not been answered. in order to run 7 leaf waggy springs in the front of the yota, is there any modification needed to the hangers to mount them? how much lift do they give if mounted in the stock hangers? do i need front or rear springs out of the waggy? and any ideas (other than chebby rears) to lift the rear the same amount? flame on! :evil:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wagoneer/Waggy Springs

These are stock Jeep Wagoneer Springs

Length: 47” (Length is eye to eye)
Bushing: 3”
Lift: 3.5 - 3.75”
Cost: $200 New, $60-$100 Used

From JcWhitney.com:
1976 - 1992 Jeep Wagoneer, Front Leaf Spring
7 Heavy-duty Leaves #07ZX2048P $99.95 Ea
5 Leaves #07ZX2047B $84.95 Ea

The 7 leaf is supposed to be the ones you are looking for.

Pinion angle can be an issue if you just bolt waggs to the stock location. If you have dropped hanger or dual cases the problem is lessened.

that doesnt give me any details on issues with mounting them or what i can do to level out the back. :(

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Well it does recommend you use a drop hanger. With that I would recommend a longer shackle but not so long that it screws up the the pinion angle. Level out the back? Back of the spring or back of the Truck?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Well when it come to leveling out a truck the possibilities are endless and has so many factors its crazy. For instance:

New or used Waggy's (how broke in are they)
What drop front mount and shackle did you end up with
What drop front mount did you use (1 1/2", 3/4" or possibly make your own)
The springs you are considering for the rear (new or used)
Are you a lift block hater or willing to run them

A lot of people run the chevies in the rear and with that you can adust the Shackle and block to try and level out with the front by changing those.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Waggy's on a toy, can't be done :rolleyes: :shaking: :rolleyes:

Why are people so scared of just diving into shit and doing it, or has the whole "sheeple" thing just too powerfull?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
crash said:
Why are people so scared of just diving into shit and doing it, or has the whole "sheeple" thing just too powerfull?

That's the problem with a web site like this. The information is too easily available. People that normally would buy a new in box lift kit are trying other avenues because of price/flex/whatever but they are expecting new in box lift kit consistency with the mods they do.

All the different spring lifts suggested here usually have different outcomes on different trucks and vary more after the springs are wheeled for a while. The only way to really know what you have to do is do the work, and then modify as needed...or in alot of cases - use it for a while and then change to something else after you are more sure of the direction you want to go.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
funny how people complain about sagging springs so much too - that's called breakin em in to me ;)

FYI the info you want is that the yota springs are 2.36" wide and the american ones are 2.5" so if you cram the crap outa them they will fit. Also the american ones use a sleeve in the bushing so they use a smaller bolt (5/8 or 9/16" depending on front or back of spring) which can be an issue with a stock hanger. Hope that helps. In short - NO they will not just bolt in, period.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
like brandon said. You will have to make a front hanger with 9/16 holes and you will have to have a longer shackle....I welded my springs longside to the front of the truck and they dont stick out as much as chevies and i used the stock rear hanger. they flex as good as chevies also....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok....another question.....will stock cj7 springs (2" wide front and 2.5" wide rear) work? i think i could get some for free from a buddy....just a thought...

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
olivedrabcj7 said:
ok....another question.....will stock cj7 springs (2" wide front and 2.5" wide rear) work? i think i could get some for free from a buddy....just a thought...
Throw those things in the garbage...

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
actually the rears I "think" are the same as the wagoneer and that is what I run - love em..

2" springs wouldn't do ya much good though

·
Registered
585 Posts
Stock waggy 7 leaf packs are too soft. Take some stock rears and add the waggys to them and you have a great front spring pack. I ran 7 leaf waggys for a while and though the ride and flex were both awesome, they would bottom out on my bumpstops when I hit the brakes...waaay soft. So now I have the 3 top leaves from a rear pac along with 4 leaves from the waggy pack. Seems to be the perfect pack for the front of my '81. Flexs great, but not noodle soft.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts