Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question guys.... part of the stage of the cj buildup my buddy john is doing is installing waggy springs then soa'n the axles.

is there a way NOW to install the springs with the STOCK axles spring under without having to do any changes to angles, driveshafts, etc? dont flame me too bad im a coil guy hehehe.

we have the springs and we have to do a tub swap like in the next couple weeks just to get it tag'd and im thinking if we can go ahead and swap over the springs however they will sit for the 60's NOW we can go ahead and build the skids and stuff and it will still be driveable.

the plan is make it driveable now and get it tag'd (its been sitting for SEVERAL years the tub is shot we have another tub and new pans) while the tub is off were going to build the body lift and work on some other stuff that way he can still drive it to work instead of his truck, and we can take it to the beach (40 minutes from assateague island) this summer and and also do some wheel'n. THEN come fall put in 4 wheel steer'n 60's hydro rams on teh suspension, driveline (360,400,20) and the other goodies.

does what im asking make sense and doable or am i shooting for the moon on this one.

thanks

DP

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
DP you're overthinking this one. It will work exactly the same as a lift kit, just with slightly longer springs. Pay attention to the orientation of the springs, end for end. If you mount them so that the fixed end of the spring is the one closest to the locating pin the wheelbase won't change. Flip them around and you'll extend the wheelbase by 2" for each axle.

You will have to use different shackle hangers and u-bolt retainer plates for the front springs since they are 1/2" wider than the CJ springs, but that would have to be done eventually anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah ive been over thinking alot of things in teh past couple days....

im taking one of those diet pills that helps you with energy and focus which means my brain is multi tasking like a motha fawka. so have all these lil things going on in my head.... johns cj, my jeep, coilovers, ram stuff, wayyyy too much stuff!!!!

i hate diets i wont rant just because its jeep tech but you know.

back on topic..... i think we'll just go ahead and put the springs in while we have the tub off. he can flip them around later if we want to extend the wheel base.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts