Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know I am going to take some sh*t for this but anyway here goes, and yes I do use the search alot on this board. I have my YJ coverted to SOA with stock 7 leaf waggy springs and am running 35" BFGs on waggy dana 44s. I have the wheel base extended to 102" and that looks like it will work well but it is tall!! I will be removing the 2" body lift that I have been using for years when I was SUA, what I am wondering is how long will the waggy springs last if I only run 4 of the seven leaves, I want to keep this as low as possible. The front fenders and have been removed and will not be used and the rear corners have been cut so I should have plenty of room for the tire, I just want to make it more stable, but if I am going to wreck the springs the first run out by only running 4 of them then I need to look at doing something else. Let me know what you guys think.

Kris

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
I would just leave all of them in, so that it wont have as much body roll as something that has leafs that act like they are worn out to hell. just take the BL off, and go with a set of offset wheels, and you should be fine. Hell, you may be good to go after just taking the BL off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am running all waggy springs on my yj. It is SOA with 5 leafs in each pack. The springs hold up well and flex butch better than the full 7spring pack. However, without the proper bumpstops, a 35" would rub easily, even on cut fenders. Thats easy to fix but the problem is I've still got the stock 4 Cyl. My Willys has a 302 and when I had waggy springs on it, I had to use at least 6 in the pack to keep from ruining the springs. ;)

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
If your willing to do some cutting, grinding, and welding, I'll bet you could lower your jeep 2-3" while keeping your current springs. Move the fixed end spring mount up as close to your frame as possible, should be about 3", netting 1 1/2" drop of ride height. French the spring mounts into the frame a bit and you can drop it even more. Of course this will mean hacking off the spring perches to correct the angle, while there off, trim them down to the minimum for even more drop. I've been mulling this over for some time, how to use the waggy leafs without getting any lift. Currently I'm runnign 35's with YJ leafs + and extra main leaf soa and minimal trimming. I could use the added wheelbase, but dont want to go higher without going full width on the axles which sucks since I already swapped in 44's several years ago. It will take some tinkering to get everything right, bumpstop height, reworking shock mounting, and steering angles etc, but should work eventually. I just havnt had time to start playing with it.

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts