Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I left mine in and had no problems. But do you have a vice?. Just put a larger socket(large enough to go around the sleeve) on one side and a small socker on the other(the same size as the sleeve). then again, you could do as RUFF said and burn them out and get new bushings to replace them.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I burnt mine out.
Still need to use the bushing.

Just put a larger socket(large enough to go around the sleeve) on one side and a small socker on the other(the same size as the sleeve). then again, you could do as RUFF said and burn them out and get new bushings to replace them.
My vice won't open up big enough to get the whole assembly into it.

On my Rancho 44044 waggy springs I drove the metal sleeve out with a 2# sledge and an angled center punch just wedged down into the sleeve.
Tried it. Used a bolt from the old shackles. Wailed on it with a 4# sledge. Almost took the bolt in the face when it rebounded. Sleeve didn't budge.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Any others?

Drew

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
dreamerof1 said:

Tried it. Used a bolt from the old shackles. Wailed on it with a 4# sledge. Almost took the bolt in the face when it rebounded. Sleeve didn't budge.

Drew
Well if the bolt extends past the metal sleeve into the poly material you won't get it out hitting on it. You have to match the diameter of the metal sleeve or use a graduated punch big enough to wedge inside the sleeve. If this is an OEM type rubber bushing it is probably vulcanized to the sleeve and you'll have to burn it out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bolt was pretty much a dead match for the o.d. of the sleeve. It definitely didn't get far enough into the bushing that its interference with the rubber bushing would have made a difference.

It is an oem bushing, so I guess I will have to torch it out. Didn't realize they were vulcanized. Any tricks for torching the sleeve out without :nuke: ing the rubber?

Drew

·
Registered
535 Posts
dreamerof1 said:

My vice won't open up big enough to get the whole assembly into it.
use a hi-lift jack.. chain it to a workbench or truck or something so that it wont fall over, and have a buddy hold it steady.

its what i used to press out the old u-joints on my replacement junkyard driveshaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
use a drill and make 4-8 holes in the rubber, doesnt stink to bad not a big mess afterwards. no need for a press, vise or a torch.
and the sleeve and bushing will fall right out!
L8R
FOSTER

1 - 11 of 11 Posts