Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just picked another YJ for next to nothing. It's a 6 cylinder, automatic, and I plan on putting in a set of 44's that I have laying around and a dana 300. My question or questions are this.

1. Do a stretch with waggy's all around, and go SOA? Just getting some donor springs, nothing brand new.

2. Do a stretch with waggy's all around, and go SUA? Get some brand new lift springs.

3. XJ's all around, and go SOA? Get some donor springs and bastard pack them.

4. XJ's all around, and go SUA. Get some brand new lift springs.

Just trying to get some good input right now. I would not be running anything larger than 37's and current setup would be on 35's. I'm not worried about having to lengthen the drive shaft, put on new hangers, putting a fuel cell in the back, fabricating, or anything else like that. This vehical will be driven on the road "some" but by no means a DD. The wheeling that I do where I live is nothing to serious, but I would want to be able to head west one of the years. Looking for any pros or cons for going one way or another.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm aware of the measurement aspect of it. I'm just trying to get some input on which would be a better route to go. I'm liening towards the waggys and using some off-set perches and should hopefully be able to get around 6-7 inches of total stretch. I guess my main question would be to stay SUA or go SOA.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
SOA flexes better and give you more room for the center section to travel upwards. but you'll need a wrap bar.. i did XJ's all around on mine SOA. whats your plan for clearing the gas tank?

·
Registered
705 Posts
also - what do you do about steering linkage if it is setup for high steer?

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Keep it SUA.

This is SUA on Toy axles and 37s, with the front axle move forward an inch and the rear stretched as far as it can go with the stock tank. Still need to swap out the fenders for high-lines to get a little more uptravel. Plenty of Droop.

With a toy axle, the steering arm was re-tapered. With a 44, you can just go off the knuckle for standard crossover, or do something similar with a hysteer 44. This is about as much uptravel as I can get without the diff hitting the motor or notching the frame. This truck is used for local comps, and frame notching is prohibited in the class I compete in.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats your plan for clearing the gas tank?
I'm going to be getting a 15 gallon RCI and be done with it. Or there is always this option to, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817258. Going with the waggys I'm sure molding the tank would work just fine, but no way with the xj's. I think I'll play it safe and just put a fuel cell in behind the seat.

also - what do you do about steering linkage if it is setup for high steer?
I'll most likely get some flat top knuckles and high steer arms. But who knows as I'm still in the buying stages right now.

Has anybody ever gone with waggys in the front and xj's in the rear? I really don't want to have to mess with relocating the steering box and all that good stuff. Since I'm already putting in a fuel cell, the xj's could go in the back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lots of people have done waggy front xj rears. I like waggy SOA all the way around. No moving the tank or steering box.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of people have done waggy front xj rears. I like waggy SOA all the way around. No moving the tank or steering box.
Going with waggy fronts and xj rears, are you looking at the same amount of lift? I though that waggys and xjs both gave you somewhere around 1-1/2" over stock yj's.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I were to go with waggy strings, and to get corner armor. Would I just get the TJ cut for my YJ, or the Comp cut? I'm sure that if I go with XJ's that I'll have to Comp cut it, just not sure about the waggy's though.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep it SUA.

This is SUA on Toy axles and 37s, with the front axle move forward an inch and the rear stretched as far as it can go with the stock tank. Still need to swap out the fenders for high-lines to get a little more uptravel. Plenty of Droop.

With a toy axle, the steering arm was re-tapered. With a 44, you can just go off the knuckle for standard crossover, or do something similar with a hysteer 44. This is about as much uptravel as I can get without the diff hitting the motor or notching the frame. This truck is used for local comps, and frame notching is prohibited in the class I compete in.

Really like the way this looks. I would more than likely be gong SAO since I really don't want to hack the frame. What style corner armor are you running, TJ cut?

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anybody have some advise on what brand of springs to buy(waggy's and xj's)? Or should I just get some used ones and bastard pack them. As far as the baskard pack, what would be a good setup for this? I currently have stock F&R yj's, fronts are in good shape, but the rears are sagging and are almost flat. Any help would be great as I'm looking into buying the springs and shackles by the end of the week.
Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Waggy spring ideas

JC Whitney has replacement waggy springs. To me the 7 leaf spring packs always flexed better and lasted longer.
For more lift, Summit Racing has 4" lift springs from Rancho, RS44044 is the part number
Just remember that Waggy shackle bolts are just a tad bigger. You'll have to drill out holes on YJ to 15mm

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JC Whitney has replacement waggy springs. To me the 7 leaf spring packs always flexed better and lasted longer.
For more lift, Summit Racing has 4" lift springs from Rancho, RS44044 is the part number
Just remember that Waggy shackle bolts are just a tad bigger. You'll have to drill out holes on YJ to 15mm
I was looking at the JC Whitney ones, as I don't want to get any added lift. I was also think about replacing the shackle hangers. Are there after market hangers that fit the waggy bolts, and thatwould also fit a YJ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm getting ready to do this swap. Are 7 leaf packs too stiff for a 4cyl weight?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I used RS44044 front and chevy 52" rears. I just used a round file to open the shackel holes a bit. Unless you have a drill press it's dangerous to try to drill out such a small amount.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used RS44044 front and chevy 52" rears. I just used a round file to open the shackel holes a bit. Unless you have a drill press it's dangerous to try to drill out such a small amount.
I do have a drill press, but a file might just be easier. Are the RS44044's considered a stock hieght or are they a lift spring? I know that going with waggy and xj's will add around 1-1/2" and that's where I'm trying to stay. I don't anything bigger than that.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Going with waggy fronts and xj rears, are you looking at the same amount of lift? I though that waggys and xjs both gave you somewhere around 1-1/2" over stock yj's.
waggy's give you 1.5"-2" of lift so stock 7 leafs ona yj or cj will yeild 1.5-2" of lift over what stock YJ or CJ springs had.

XJ's do not, they are softer 3.5" RE XJ springs yeilded about 2" of lift.

I was waggy's in front but just changed during my rebuild and used a set of RE1455's which are the 4" YJ rear 6 leaf springs, what interesting about them is their center pin to bushing measurements are only a .25" off of what a waggy spring is. i had to redrill the 2nd leaf to capitalize on the stretch. since stock is 22.5 x 22.5" and Waggy's are 22.5"x24.5" and the RE springs are fairly soft and flex as good if not a little more than the waggys it seemed like it was worth the try.

YJ 4" rears: RE1455 24.25"x23.25"

With a V8 and winch the RE1455's settled out to about 2.5-3" of lift and looked good with 35's, about an inch less than the rancho waggy 2" lift RS44044's which ultimately sat about as high as a set of 4.5" RE1451's on a waggy. The RE1455's are not nearly as stiff as teh RS44044s and more willing to flex downward too. i could swap in and probably will a little stiffer 3rd leaf to hold the weight a little better but at the current levels things are good.

As to the rear i used a set of XJ springs that were a little soft, i moved the shckle hanger to below the frame to gain about 1.5" more height and then sacrificed some of that by frenching the spring mount int he front into the frame. reason being is XJ's when used for the stretch move the hanger 6" more from teh axle making it much more prone to catching rocks and messing with your break over angle for ledges. I might later change things around. Also i moved the axle back 2" and moved the front hanger forward 4". and i clearnaced the fuel tank for future options.

I started out with RE 3.5" XJ's and the AAL and was still an inch low in the rear vs 7 leaf waggys, but really close. i should have started with the 4.5" RE' XJ springs and done the AAL if necessay but i think with 4.5"s as soft as they are i could have moved the shackle mount under the frame and been good.

I am SUA with an AMC V-8, NV4500 and Atlas... heavy pig, also adding a D60 high pinion rear and a 608.9 hybrid 44 front all SUA. I was a T18 D300 with most of this combo of parts and things worked well other than the impact on ledges of the rear spring hangers but hopefully the french will help that. Had to add a BL to really get things to clear and tuck the tranny and t-cse into the body for a flat belly pan. when i did the YJ frame swap. Im on 37's and Spring under and love it for most everything, occassionally i wish i still had my link'd or my SOA rigs but this fits the bill

·
Registered
560 Posts
I do have a drill press, but a file might just be easier. Are the RS44044's considered a stock hieght or are they a lift spring? I know that going with waggy and xj's will add around 1-1/2" and that's where I'm trying to stay. I don't anything bigger than that.
They're marketed as 2" lift springs for FSJ's so you should get 3.5" on a YJ. I'm spring under front and back.
Its not hardcore I know lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts