Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but didn't come up with what I was looking for. Move this to the newbie section if need be, or flame away!!!

I've found some wagoneer 44's with a centered 44 rear and a non-vac diso front 44 (Drivers dump, obviously.) Here are my questions:

The non-disco front has no manual locking hubs. I assume it's some sort of all wheel drive or select-trac or whatever. Can this front end be fitted with manual locking hubs, or will it require changing out the outer knuckles?

These are going in a '88 XJ. Any suggestions on the bracketry for the front end? Anything I should be cautious of for the rear end?

10,059 Posts
Rear end should be straight forward. For the front end, you should be able to isntall manual locking hubs, but for teh price of the kit, it may be cheaper to find a front 44 with hubs already on. I believe that the outers and hubs from 77-up Waggy's should fit on 88 and up front 44's. Check the IFSJA.org site for more info on these axles.

Good luck!

Gui

· Registered
3,630 Posts
geberhard said:
Rear end should be straight forward. For the front end, you should be able to isntall manual locking hubs, but for teh price of the kit, it may be cheaper to find a front 44 with hubs already on. I believe that the outers and hubs from 77-up Waggy's should fit on 88 and up front 44's. Check the IFSJA.org site for more info on these axles.

Good luck!

Gui
What's different about this axle that you can't just install manual hubs on it? I thought all waggy 44s ran slugs.

· Registered
14,002 Posts
Grandpa Jeep said:

What's different about this axle that you can't just install manual hubs on it? I thought all waggy 44s ran slugs.
What he said. All the 80+ waggy front's I have seen just have "slugs" instead of manual or auto loacking hubs. Just take out the slugs and put in a set of warn locking hubs. It should be a 19 spline stub shaft and take a Warn P/N 20990 hub.

· Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was fairly certain that I could just bolt in the locking hubs, but I just wanted to make sure. I suppose it's just taking off the chrome covers, and just bolting them in???

What about the bracketry for the track bar, control arms, and spring cups. I've seen several companies offer these pre-made, but they seem pricey, and I can weld and have a little touch of the fab bug. So is there any simple ideas for these to save some money? Anyone have any templates they have drawn up and posted online?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.